Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: New Icom 2m - 10Ghz radio !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

Icom's been busy....

https://www.dx-world.net/new-icom-905-transceiver/

cheers

Tim
Price....

I reckon in VK with all the fruit.. 10ghz..  all  icom antennas... the lot will be pushing $4000

Any advances?

vk6ro

e&oe
More like $6999 I would think - rigs aren't getting any cheaper these days.
And here's the brochure...

cheers
Tim
One thing I noticed in that brochure "ATV (Amateur TV) in the FM Mode" - anybody still using that mode instead of digital?
Was taliking to Ross at Strictly Ham earlier and he suggests that the IC-905 availability is probably about 2 years away.. so that gives you lots of time to save up your 'bikkies'.  
Queried expected price - no real idea, but "quite expensive". (and the 10GHz add-on will probably be a few $K on top !)
(23-08-2022, 02:14 PM)VK4ADC Wrote: [ -> ]Was taliking to Ross at Strictly Ham earlier and he suggests that the IC-905 availability is probably about 2 years away.. so that gives you lots of time to save up your 'bikkies'.  
Queried expected price - no real idea, but "quite expensive". (and the 10GHz add-on will probably be a few $K on top !)

The IC-905 will be showcased at the Tassie Ham Radio Expo on November 6th in Hobart by Icom Australia. Come along for a look!

https://www.reast.asn.au/news-events/tas...-and-expo/
It's being advertised by a company in Germany for €3,600 which include 19% VAT.
If you remove the VAT, add our 10% GST and convert to AUD, you get roughly $5,100.
I don't think this includes the optional CX-10G transverter for 10GHz.
The site says it will be available from 1st March 2023.

https://difona.de/amateurfunk/amateurfun...raet?c=111

I haven't seen prices mentioned anywhere else, including the Icom Europe website, so this price may not be accurate.
If it is (which wouldn't surprise me) then it's a very expensive way to get on the microwave bands.

73 Iain
I had a quick chat to Hero (Icom engineer) at the Rosebud hamfest in Nov and he indicated that production may start early 2023... here's hoping!!

Also heard on the grapevine recently that the IC-905 basic package may be around AU$4500 and the 10G module around AU$1500 which is about where a few of us thought where the prices will fall. I thought the basic IC-905 package might be just under $5000, so if it's less, that's great!
G'day Steve, yep I've yet to see what the pin assignments are on the connector of the main module - as per Hayden's comments on one of his videos, it'll be interesting to see what will be available on the multi-pin connector that could be used to trigger an outboard afterburner.

But the concept of the whole thing is very, very good - thanks to Icom for going in this direction. Sure, it won't be for many of those already established in the uWave game over the years. But it will be great for those interested in getting up onto the uWave bands that lack the construction time, skills & test equipment to go beyond 23cm. I like the concept - it really lends itself for portable operation in that it would be quick to deploy.

And most importantly, it will hopefully get a lot more people up on the air and help utilise & justify the upper bands.

Finally, Steve, I've gotta stop chucking antennas out and start keeping 2ft & 3ft antennas... :-)

Cheers,
IC-905 pricing released by Icom Aust yesterday... https://www.icom-australia.com/news.html

Further update from Hayden VK7HH re the IC-905 pricing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-kmfuv0Mv8&t=3s

No pricing of accessories available as yet.
Quote:Icom Australia expect to release the IC-905 VHF/UHF/SHF All Mode Portable Transceiver in late April, subject to Australian Type Approval process.

Since when is amateur gear subject to "type approval", or is this something to do with amateur being a secondary service on 2.4 & 5.6GHZ?
I am not sure that type approval is a function of the amateur service in particular.

I seem to recall that it, in fact, applies to all electrical and electronic equipment destined to be imported and used in Australia.

For reference:
https://www.acma.gov.au/step-1-check-rules-follow
IIRC, all amateur equipment made and/or sold in Japan - including that which you build yourself - requires "type approval". Undecided
Cheers, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
i really want one of these new IC-905 radios, so I will start saving for one now.
At around $8,000 cost all up that could be a long wait for me, so by the time they are due to be replaaced by the upgraded model I will probably have enough, hi
Worth it by the sond of the features though.

Bernie, VK4KX
At the current rate of being able to save, I'll have fallen off my perch before I get anywhere near it - not that I want one anyway, I think modern rigs are a ridiculous price for what they do.
Steven, forget about the multi-band feeds unless you've got some protection in place.

5GHz 23dBi panel $100 on eBay
2.4GHz 24dBi grid pack $80 on eBay

I have a spare Comelit 10GHz 2ft dish for you and maybe a spare Andrew 10GHz 4ft dish if you're one of the very few with enough patience to use these. As for the WR90 - SMA transitions, I'm assured they're in the mail...

Re the IC-905... if you've already got an IF rig and a few transverters, probably not much point. If you're starting out fresh, excellent idea.

I'm building up a quick setup rover station - so look out over your back fence... Wink

Cheers,
At the EMDRC uWave test & tune day today, we learned some more about the IC-905 that Hiro from Icom Aust was demonstrating while we had some beacons running on 2.4G, 5.7G & 10G in the paddock. No further info re the pinout of the multi-pin connectors on the two ODU's. But available waterproof pre-terminated Cat5 cables will be 5m, 20m, 30m & 50m lengths. It has a single VFO and earthing of the ODU's will have to be via one of the mounting bolts as far as I could see - no dedicated earth stud / bolt hole. Whilst there were some colinear antennas on display & in use, I suspect Icom won't be selling many of these antennas in VK - ideal for metro use perhaps, but not for uWave DX work. There was an Icom branded parabolic dish for 10G on display, which looked to be about 400mm in diam, similar to what has been seen on one of Hayden's videos. There was quite a bit of interest today - potential use was almost 50/50, for portable work or use on a tower at home. Availability in VK retail outlets is still scheduled for late April and no manuals & software are available as yet, but hopefully in a few weeks was the word.

Anyway, here's a couple of short & unedited videos from today...

EMDRC day - Icom IC-905 control head

EMDRC day - Icom IC-905 ODU's & antennas

Cheers,
Icom have now released the software & manual for the IC-905.

Basic Manual... Icom IC-905 manual

Advanced Manual... Icom IC-905 Advanced manual

Software... Icom CS-905 software

Cheers,
I can't seem to find any documentation on the CX-10G 10GHz transverter module - I suspect Icom haven't released this yet, but I expect it'll only go for a few pages and the rest of the notes are in the two manuals described in my previous post above.

There has been some interest as to what will be available on the multi-pin connectors on the main IC-905 ODU and the CX-10G transverter. Here's a screenshot from the IC-905 courtesy of Icom Japan in the manuals...

[attachment=651]

Cheers,
Pages: 1 2