Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: New Icom 2m - 10Ghz radio !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks Iain. It looks like Icom have been busy this week publishing a few more documents.

Here's one for the Icom AH-109PB 10GHz parabolic antenna... Icom AH-109PB 10GHz parabolic antenna

A few things come to mind.

Firstly on page 3 of the destructions, it's denoted that the antenna is fixed for vertical polarisation and unable to be adjusted for horizontal polarisation. It's not easy to see in the drawings on page 4 on how this can be changed - it does mention that the antenna & mounting bracket cannot be separated. One reason could be because Icom has only supplied one configuration of hardline and therefore won't suit a change in polarisation. I'm sure some backyard fab work could fix this up.

Secondly, given the retail price of these antennas, I'd suggest it's a place of last resort. One can do very much better on the second-hand market or even better if one is a good shaker of the trees! I can see what Icom are trying to do here with their optional antennas - is to at least provide some sort of solution as a starting point to get people going until they're secured some more appropriate antennas.

Finally, here's the link to the destructions for the Icom omni antennas for all three bands... Icom AH-24, AH-56 & AH100

Cheers,
G'day all,

Righteo, after having downloaded the Icom CS-905 software and having a bit of a read of both manuals, plus experience of past Icom rigs, I've now come up with a starting ICF file for your new IC-905 when they arrive soon.

My ICF file is VK3 centric, that includes all VK3 and some VK5 & VK7 beacons for all bands from 2m to 10Gigs, calling freqs, GPS settings, digital & common settings, callsign, metric/decimal settings, TOT of 3mins on all bands and most of the common FM & digital repeaters around VK3 when working on hill tops. I've also included a few freqs in the list in case you wish to use this rig as an IF for 3398 as well. It's a starting ICF file to get you going, which you can then add your own stuff.

If you want a copy and your email device handles ICF files, let me know and I'll send you a copy. You'll just need to change your callsign and short message settings. I hope to create some quick instructions as to what you'll need to change for your use. The only disclaimer is that this hasn't yet been tested on an IC-905 as they're yet to arrive in VK. But hopefully soon.

Cheers,
G'day all, here's a video by Josh earlier today...  IC-905 2m to 10G RX & TX performance testing... IC-905 performance testing

It looks like some people in the US have started receiving their new IC-905's over the past 24hrs and it appears most of the arriving stock in the US is already accounted for by pre-orders.

Cheers,
G'day All,

Icom Australia released their pricing plan yesterday and here's an update from Strictly Ham... Strictly Ham IC-905

Cheers,
And don't forget to add on to your order the:

https://www.strictlyham.com.au/icom-cx-10g
(07-03-2023, 05:45 PM)VK3BA Wrote: [ -> ]Steven, forget about the multi-band feeds unless you've got some protection in place.

5GHz 23dBi panel $100 on eBay
2.4GHz 24dBi grid pack $80 on eBay

I have a spare Comelit 10GHz 2ft dish for you and maybe a spare Andrew 10GHz 4ft dish if you're one of the very few with enough patience to use these. As for the WR90 - SMA transitions, I'm assured they're in the mail...

Re the IC-905... if you've already got an IF rig and a few transverters, probably not much point. If you're starting out fresh, excellent idea.

I'm building up a quick setup rover station - so look out over your back fence... Wink

Cheers,

(07-03-2023, 05:45 PM)VK3BA Wrote: [ -> ]Steven, forget about the multi-band feeds unless you've got some protection in place.

5GHz 23dBi panel $100 on eBay
2.4GHz 24dBi grid pack $80 on eBay

I have a spare Comelit 10GHz 2ft dish for you and maybe a spare Andrew 10GHz 4ft dish if you're one of the very few with enough patience to use these. As for the WR90 - SMA transitions, I'm assured they're in the mail...

Re the IC-905... if you've already got an IF rig and a few transverters, probably not much point. If you're starting out fresh, excellent idea.

I'm building up a quick setup rover station - so look out over your back fence... Wink

Cheers,
Pages: 1 2