Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
Adventure Kings Gensets - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Adventure Kings Gensets (/thread-889.html)

Adventure Kings Gensets - VK2CSW - 09-11-2019

Hi All,

The generator I have (a 2kVA chinese thing) has developed an oil leak.

Just spent an hour taking the covers off. I reckon there's another hour getting the engine shrouds off before I can even begin to look for the oil leak.

It looks like I can get a Kings 2kVA for about $450 or a 3kVA for about $650.
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/produc ... rs-24.html

I use (used?) this one to run household fridges and to charge batteries during extended power outages and to run a water pump from the tank during bush fires.

Although having a clean output for using with radios would be nice, for the price I wouldn't expect that.

Has anyone used a Kings genset?

Opinions?

RE: Adventure Kings Gensets - VK2CSW - 18-11-2019

Well I pulled the trigger on one of the 2 kVA gensets.

I guess I'll find out...

RE: Adventure Kings Gensets - VK2CSW - 22-11-2019

(18-11-2019, 07:40 PM)VK2CSW Wrote: Well I pulled the trigger on one of the 2 kVA gensets.

I guess I'll find out...

I ordered the gennie on Sunday arvo.

It arrived Tuesday arvo. Not too shabby.

Finally got a chance to play with it today. Put in some oil, some fuel, turned on the fuel cock and main switch. Started first pull.

I couldn't believe it. Purrs like a kitten and is reasonably quiet.

RE: Adventure Kings Gensets - VK7HH - 25-11-2019

(22-11-2019, 02:03 PM)VK2CSW Wrote:
(18-11-2019, 07:40 PM)VK2CSW Wrote: Well I pulled the trigger on one of the 2 kVA gensets.

I guess I'll find out...

Finally got a chance to play with it today. Put in some oil, some fuel, turned on the fuel cock and main switch. Started first pull.

Hi Colin,
RF quiet or sounds quiet?

I wonder if you've done tests on 6m and 2m especially as I guess they are the most susceptible bands. Also curious how noisy it would be at HF.

RE: Adventure Kings Gensets - VK2CSW - 28-11-2019

(25-11-2019, 04:17 PM)VK7HH Wrote:

I guess I'll find out...

Hi Colin,

I wonder if you've done tests on 6m and 2m especially as I guess they are the most susceptible bands. Also curious how noisy it would be at HF.

I was referring to audible noise. I don't have a HF station that I can test with at the moment (Thanks! NBNCo!).  2m and 70cm are only affected if I had the handheld within 1.5m of the genset.

After the storm here on Tuesday we were without power until the wee small hours of Thursday.

Needless to say, the generator got pressed into service and did sterling service.

I found that I could run an upright freezer, two full size fridges and charge various batteries all at once.  The trick was to stagger the start up of each of the big devices.  It couldn't handle the start up current for all three at once.

I ran it for about three hours for the first run then left everything overnight.  Ran it for two hours, off for two hours, ran for 1 hour (once I had all three fridges together), off two hours, on 1 hour, etc.

Didn't really miss a beat and probably used about three or four litres of fuel.

All in all it passed it's first test.

RE: Adventure Kings Gensets - VK7HH - 28-11-2019

(28-11-2019, 06:43 AM)VK2CSW Wrote:
(25-11-2019, 04:17 PM)VK7HH Wrote:

I guess I'll find out...

Hi Colin,

I was referring to audible noise. I don't have a HF station that I can test with at the moment (Thanks! NBNCo!).  2m and 70cm are only affected if I had the handheld within 1.5m of the genset.

After the storm here on Tuesday we were without power until the wee small hours of Thursday.

Needless to say, the generator got pressed into service and did sterling service.

I found that I could run an upright freezer, two full size fridges and charge various batteries all at once.  The trick was to stagger the start up of each of the big devices.  It couldn't handle the start up current for all three at once.

I ran it for about three hours for the first run then left everything overnight.  Ran it for two hours, off for two hours, ran for 1 hour (once I had all three fridges together), off two hours, on 1 hour, etc.

Didn't really miss a beat and probably used about three or four litres of fuel.

All in all it passed it's first test.