Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
Connecting two digital interfaces to the same computer - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: Computer related (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Connecting two digital interfaces to the same computer (/thread-886.html)

Connecting two digital interfaces to the same computer - VK4WDM - 08-11-2019

I use a SignaLink USB interface for WSJT-X digi modes on my FTdx-1200 for HF. I have just added another SignaLink USB interface to my FT-847 for VHF/UHF.  Can I connect the both interfaces to the same computer?  I would only have one of them running at the same time to avoid conflicts.

The other alternative would be to use only one interface and switch it between the radios.

Comments please.  (Remember you are responding to a computer-challenged semi-geriatric) Tongue 

Wayne VK4WDM

RE: Connecting two digital interfaces to the same computer - VK2EHQ - 08-11-2019

Yes you can.
Basically the PC will "see" them as two separate sound cards. If you go to device manager and then Sound, Video and Game Controllers, you will note that a USB sound card interface will pop up everytime you plug and unplug the SignalLink into a port. Note the device number relevant to which SignalLink and set your software settings accordingly.

It works well here. As you stated, there can be an issue at times if you run both at the same time. Illogical but in practise, it does happen.
Don't forget, turn Windows sounds OFF when using digital sound card modes, hi hi

Cheers,
Peter VK2EHQ

RE: Connecting two digital interfaces to the same computer - VK3LU - 08-11-2019

Hi Wayne,
Yes you can. I use one USB connection to a SignaLink to an FT817nd and another direct USB connection to my IC7300.
I have two shortcuts on the Desktop... one fires up WSJT X in WSPR mode and connects to the FT817, and the other does the same for the IC7300. Works a treat!

If you want to know how to set up the shortcuts, let me know. I can't do it at the moment as I am using a tablet to talk to you.

Cheers
Nev

RE: Connecting two digital interfaces to the same computer - VK4WDM - 10-12-2019

(08-11-2019, 12:49 PM)VK3LU Wrote: Hi Wayne,
Yes you can. I use one USB connection to a SignaLink to an FT817nd and another direct USB connection to my IC7300.
I have two shortcuts on the Desktop... one fires up WSJT X in WSPR mode and connects to the FT817, and the other does the same for the IC7300. Works a treat!

If you want to know how to set up the shortcuts, let me know. I can't do it at the moment as I am using a tablet to talk to you.

Cheers
Nev

Updated

Went down the low-tech path using a USB switch between the two Signalinks. Works well but I have to close and re-start WSJT-X after doing the switching to prevent the waterfall from freezing. Don't know why that happens but it is a minor issue.

Now have digi modes available 160-10m on the FTdx1200 and 6m to 70cm on the  FT847 Big Grin

Wayne VK4WDM