Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
Aussie callsign options...? - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: Regulatory, Licencing & Exams (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Aussie callsign options...? (/thread-881.html)

Aussie callsign options...? - VK4ADC - 25-10-2019

From text edition for OCTOBER 27 2019 - VK NATIONAL NEWS BROADCAST ON VK1WIA : http://www.wia.org.au/members/broadcast/wianews/

Also in MP3 edition of news available at: http://www.wia-files.com/podcast/wianews-2019-10-27.mp3

One of the big news items from the very recent Licence Condition (LCD) changes by the ACMA was to allow Foundation licence holders the ability to use digital modes, which had previously only been available to Standard and Advanced licence holders. This was a long overdue change, but a welcome one nevertheless  and it brings Australia into line with other jurisdictions for entry level licences e.g. UK Foundation licence.

In the WIA joint submission  submitted in conjunction with ALARA, ARNSW and ARVIC - to the ACMA prior to the release of the LCD changes it was noted that the foundation licence call sign at 7 characters was too long for a number of digital modes, being incompatible with the software utilized for these modes. This is due to the 4 character suffix on the callsign, i.e VK3FRED.

Any solution to this problem involves allowing foundation licences holders a callsign of 6 characters. There are a few ways to achieve this, some better than others.
The WIA LCD submission, in the appendix, described the solution preferred by the WIA which is simply to allow foundation licence holders to apply for a new 6 character callsign, in the current standard format. i.e VKNxxx. Once upon a time, in a galaxy not that far away, using a letter block such as Zxx, Yxx and of course Fxxx was the only feasible way to identify licence class but today there is no technical reason whatsoever to do so  as it takes only a few seconds to look up on the ACMA database, if for some reason you really want to know ..

There are a number of advantages of this approach to cease the use of a letter block for licence demarcation. It allows new amateurs to have a callsign for life, and not to have to change as they progress from Foundation to Standard to Advanced. It also removes the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) discrimination that has been reported by many foundation licence holders from a small number of higher licence class holders  such as not responding to their CQ calls, or accusing them of running illegal power levels, simply because they have a strong signal. And it is easy to implement, as the processes and application forms already exist.  Note that standard licence holders would also gain access to any callsign.

The other alternatives that have been proposed are:
To allocate the Q block such as VK7Qxx, but this isnt feasible as there are simply not enough available callsigns (26 multiplied by 26) for the more populous states. It also may be confused with the Q code.

The other is to allocate a new prefix instead of VK, such as VJ. This works, but the implementation is somewhat messy compared to any licence class, any callsign approach, and there will be on-air confusion for some time as to what VJ refers to. However, it would be preferable to the Q block approach, but it is still a workaround and viewed by the WIA as sub-optimal. It also precludes use of the AX prefix for special events due to potential callsign overlap. This is the RASA proposed solution.

So, how do we get the ACMA to fix this problem that impacts the digital modes for Foundation licences and get an optimal solution. Especially when they have suggested the Q block as their solution. So, it is survey time again.

The WIA, jointly in conjunction other amateur organisations, will be issuing a link via email to the survey to their members. This survey has only a few simple questions, such as your current licence class and preferred solution. It will describe the proposed viable solutions and their pluses and minuses.

We hope the link to this survey will be sent soon, as early as this coming week, assuming everything goes to plan. We look forward to your feedback from the survey, and ultimate resolution of this issue.

The survey will be open for a number of weeks.

This is Greg 2GPK for the WIA Board.

RE: Aussie callsign options...? - VK3RX - 25-10-2019

Quote:There are a number of advantages of this approach to cease the use of a letter block for licence demarcation. It allows new amateurs to have a callsign for life, and not to have to change as they progress from Foundation to Standard to Advanced. It also removes the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) discrimination that has been reported by many foundation licence holders from a small number of higher licence class holders  such as not responding to their CQ calls, or accusing them of running illegal power levels, simply because they have a strong signal. And it is easy to implement, as the processes and application forms already exist.  Note that standard licence holders would also gain access to any callsign.

Sounds like the most sensible solution to me.

RE: Aussie callsign options...? - OZ2M - 26-10-2019

Many people find a lot of identity in their call sign. So being able to keep it forever may make a lot of sense. OK, personally I am not the best example, changed to OZ2M 1 Jan. 2000, but still.

In Sweden they managed to get well beyond the heydays of issuing new amateur radio call signs with three letters in the suffix, and only had to add a new general prefix some ten years ago. But the suffix policy remains. This while issuing call signs with unique suffixes across all call sign areas, i.e. SM7XYZ will remain XYZ even if moving permanently to the "2" area where the call sign will then be SM2XYZ. Short term stays are still SM7XYZ/2. Somehow I like this policy.

RE: Aussie callsign options...? - VK4ADC - 26-10-2019

The allocation of a "forever" callsign has to be one of the best ideas I have heard in a very long time.  

It doesn't mean that the licence grades are diminished and it provides more reliance on the individual to operate within their specific licence conditions.

I often look up the ACMA Register to check details on someone who registers for forum access, and sometimes for stations I hear on-air, and it is a simple enough process. 
Try it yourself :  https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/register_search.main_page and enter a callsign in the relevant data box.

Some 25-odd years ago, I was offered the callsign VK4DH (my initials) when the previous licensee relinquished it - and I considered it for all of about 30 seconds before deciding to keep my existing callsign - which has been "mine" since early 1976 (and not previously issued).  Back then I upgraded from LAOCP to AOCP so underwent a callsign change from VK4ZDC (issued in 1967).  
This "forever" idea means that such a change would be unnecessary.

Now it is only a matter of getting ACMA agreement to make the implementation happen. Big Grin

RE: Aussie callsign options...? - VK6RO - 26-10-2019

From memory...

At one time there was the "C" prefix allocated to commonwealth public servants that were transferred all over australia and they kept the suffix and just changed the prefix if they moved interstate.  [VK2CRO becomes VK8CRO etc?]

I know there was some "C" calls at the carnarvon tracking station in vk6 in the early 80s.

I am 100% sure there was something like this in 70s and early 80s at least.

vk6ro

e&oe

RE: Aussie callsign options...? - VK4ADC - 26-10-2019

All of the original "C"-calls were issued to military personnel back then, rather than specifically Commonwealth public servants, but demand by others led to a revision of the rules and then wider allocation in later years.

RE: Aussie callsign options...? - VK3RX - 26-10-2019

To quote from my 1978 version of the P&T Amateur Operator's Handbook:
Quote:Amateur stations who are moved from State to State in their employment and normally remain at each address for long periods, on submission of suitable evidence, may be allocated a call sign from the following series:

then goes on to list the various "C" three letter suffixes allocated to each State, eg. NSW VK2CAA-VK2CBZ, Victoria VK3CCA - VK3CDZ etc.

Hence mine was VK3CDI and when I transferred to Tassie for a few years I used VK7CDI.

I recall from the early 80s they stopped the practice, and anyone could then take out a "C" series call sign.