Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: Computer related (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... (/thread-73.html)

Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK4ADC - 11-11-2016

Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle via eBay and have started to have a play with it. I figured it was time for me to play the catch-up game with the newer RF technology so why not jump in at the deep end Big Grin

It is one of the blue cased ones : USB 2.0 Digital DVB-T SDR+DAB+FM HDTV TV Tuner Receiver Stick RTL2832U+R820T2. It's nominal features are..

R820T2+RTL2832U chip;
It support SDR,DAB,FM and DVB-T
Watch and record digital terrestrial TV on PC or Laptop.
Full DVB-T bandwidth reception (6/7/8 MHz).
Digital TV recording and playback as DVD quality.
Support for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/WIN7;
Support both MPEG-2, MPEG-4(H.264) encoding;
and came with BlazeTV software.

I have followed a few Google results and installed the Zadig drivers, ExtIO-RTL support and the HDSDR software as well and the thing seems to receive. It looks like I will need to find and download the extra libraries to make the rtlsdr_scan-windows-32bit software run (Win7/32bit OS) before I get the thing to work as a pseudo spectrum analyser - but that is one of the eventual aims. I will eventually try to get Spektrum software running but it looks like it is only for Win7(+)/64 bit.

I do have to cut the coax lead for the small antenna supplied and re-terminate it in an SMA male so that the dongle is usable on a "proper" antenna or test setups but that is a minor task.

What other software have you tried that will do spec-an functionality, 32bit, XP/Win7/+ etc ???
Feedback please.

73 Doug VK4ADC

Re: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK3YCQ - 11-11-2016

SDR# gets my vote

airspy.com
Note that the product you see on that page is what they would like to sell you, but the SDR# software should work with your new purchase and is available in the download section.

Ian

Re: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK2JDS - 14-11-2016

If you have an Android smartphone, or preferably a tablet, then these apps combined with your new sdr dongle will make a great handheld portable spectrum analyser.
RF Analyser and SDRtouch are the apps to look for in the playstore.
RF Analyser covers a slabwidth up to 2MHz you can select when you type in what frequency you want, or the default width is 1 MHz, and it shows a waterfall too.
The frequency coverage is anywhere that the dongle will normally tune to (using sdrsharp etc) and you can scroll back and forth up and down the bands, or directly key in what centre frequency you want.
SDR touch requires a small payment to make it go, but its handy.
You need to use the cable that came with your android device to allow a normal sized usb device to plug in.The rtl dongle runs off the internal battery of the phone or tab. just plug in an aerial and off you go.
73 Dave

Re: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK4ADC - 15-11-2016

I don't really want to use the android approach as my phone is for phone calls and I don't own a straight tablet to be able to use that way..

I did get SDRsharp running on both Win32 and Win64 versions of Win7. I also managed to get Spektrum to run under Win64 and even saw the "local" 1296 beacon once I connected an external antenna to it (about 20Km away, clear path). Frequency calibration is off (displays low by about 600K at 1296) but I will look at that at a future time.

Any other suggestions / hints out there ??

Re: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK2DAG - 22-11-2016

Big list of dongle goodness.

rtl-sdr.com/big-list-rtl-sdr

Using 2 sticks to trunk track P25 networks and decode P25 is sweet to play with.

Matt.

Re: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK4ADC - 23-11-2016

Matt

I had already been to that list but it is good to see the link publicised. I have yet to download the SDR-RADIO V2 and try it but it looks like it might fit one of my other target uses.

Anyone have a link to something else??

Doug

Re: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK4TS - 05-01-2017

Hi Doug,

I am now kitting up my FT991 - not the A with a Dongle - I have purchased one of the G4HUT PAT Panoramic Adaptor Tap Board units.

My FT2000 and FT950 have the cables fitted and CW Skimmer only was used.

For the FT991 my most likely software for the SpecAn would be SDR# but I would also like to run CW Skimmer - The board arrived this week so will be tackling the job over the next week and give you some feedback.

Regards

Trent

RE: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK2ZIW - 03-06-2021

Have a good look at OpenWebRX. You can make your SDR USB thingy available to others and of course yourself from anywhere, anywhere with a web browser.

Currently at our Men's Shed buildong in South Penrith NSW, it's available as:
http://110.143.195.8:8073

I've added all amateur bands to the config. Rx antenna is a 9m pole on the roof of our 30m x 30m metal roof building.

Hardware: SDRplay RSP1

Have fun listeners.

RE: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK2ZIW - 30-06-2021

Well, has anyone used it?

Also at my house here, a HackRF One is listening on 3398.1 MHz and available:
www.unixservice.com.au:8073

In the meanwhile, I've attempted to get the above SDRplay RSP1 to feed 10bit data
to OpenWebRX, data gets through but is rubbish.

RE: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK3RX - 30-06-2021

I've just had a play with both. Great reception actually.

With the Men's Shed one I tried to tune a couple of HF aviation frequencies 8867 & 13261 USB but I gather it is restricted to those bands listed under the frequency.

RE: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK2ZIW - 02-07-2021

Hi all,
The WebSDR at Nepean Men's Shed is now using the SDRplay RSP1's 10bit data mode, not 8bit.
http://110.143.195.8:8073

Once I got into the "C" code, and realised the data was positive integers 0 to 1023 centred around 512,
the upgrade wasn't too hard. See my website, hamradio page. www.unixservice.com.au

Alan VK2ZIW

RE: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK2ZIW - 03-07-2021

I've added some Aircraft shortwave and VHF AM bands.
Just ask if you want a band, all 1MHz segments.

RE: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK3RX - 03-07-2021

(03-07-2021, 07:56 AM)VK2ZIW Wrote: I've added some Aircraft shortwave and VHF AM bands.
Just ask if you want a band, all 1MHz segments.

Very nice - well done. Had a tune around on the various bands including aircraft VHF and its working well.

RE: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK2ZIW - 15-01-2023

I want to put my SDR on the net so, I had in the draw an SDRPlay RSP1.
But in 2019 I couldn't get the SDRPlay drivers to "see" it on my PC.
Luckily their Raspberry Pi SD card image did "see" it.
So I put it online an my local Men's Shed utilising an unused HF vertical.
(down at the moment awaiting NBN to replace the FTTC curb unit)

In 2022 I found the "Simple SDR" boards also known as BG7YZF boards.
So, to find an open source driver for OpenWebRX, libmirisdr-4 on Github.

BUG: Works but can't change frequency, waterfall stops.
Jan 2023 Now fixed needed a pause between band selections.
My code is available on my website www.unixservice.com.au and my SDR on port 8073.

Have fun guys...
Alan VK2ZIW

RE: Ok, I have bought my first SDR dongle... - VK2ZIW - 04-06-2023

The "Simple SDR" and the BG7YZF boards with the Mirics chipset, around $15 on eBay.

I've had success. Read my write-up on my website:
www.unixservice.com.au/hamradio/websdr/
Basically, use the Soapy network system to connect to the Soapy server
connecting to the Mirics on the same PC and put a 1/2 second delay in libmirisdr-4
We can now switch bands and it keeps working.

My HF antenna at home here is tied up to Codec2 so the 6m beam is available only.