Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: Regulatory, Licencing & Exams (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? (/thread-701.html)

Pages: 1 2

Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4ADC - 02-01-2019

From  https://www.acma.gov.au/Home/Citizen/TV-Radio/Radio/Marine-and-Amateur-Radio/amateur-licensing

"On 28 January 2009, the ACMA contracted the Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) to issue amateur certificates of proficiency and manage amateur callsigns, in addition to the provision of amateur examinations. The WIA provides these services to the amateur community as the ACMA's authorised delegate.

The WIA also issues callsign recommendations to amateurs wishing to be issued an amateur licence. This includes amateurs who wish to vary their licences (where there is a change in callsign)."

That 28 January 2009 + 10 years = 27 January 2019, and that date is drawing close now.

I had my WIA Assessor's hat on a couple of days ago and was discussing a Standard to Advanced upgrade (i.e doing the Advanced theory paper) with a local.  No problems, give me a call.

Today it struck me that unless that if it is attempted ( successfully of course) and all the paperwork done by the WIA, then submitted to the ACMA before the Deed expires, it might be ok. Later that that date, it may not be recognised. 

Does anyone have any updates on whether the WIA is likely to continue their current role in examinations and callsign management ??  Do we hold off on conducting further assessments until more is known ??

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK2CSW - 03-01-2019

I guess the WIA are on their Christmas break, but isn't this a question for them and the ACMA to answer?

All of the finest bush-lawyering we could muster is simply meaningless guess work and over-inflated opinion.

Were I an invigilator/assessor I'd be rattling the cage of my WIA training contacts and board members for clarification as there may be issues if, as you say, the contract is extinguished and candidates are then left hanging.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4ADC - 03-01-2019

Completely right. Cage rattling would be good if there was someone there to hear the rattles :

The WIA office in Bayswater will close from Friday 21st December 2018 at 4:00pm (AEDT)and re-open on Wednesday 23rd January 2019 at 11:00am (AEDT). 

Then there is the fact that it is less than a week after that office re-opening date that the Deed extinguishes.  Has the ACMA made an announcement yet ? ( Nothing showing at https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/Newsroom/Newsroom/Media-releases )

That is not to say that nothing will be happening in the background in the WIA but getting a sensible answer before then (23rd Jan) might be a hard task.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK2CSW - 03-01-2019

I have to say that closing up shop for over a month is not very helpful.

Do they normally close for such a long period?

I feel your angst, I am actually amazed that they have decided to cut off communications for so long and at such a juncture. We are kinda in the communications game, one way or another!

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK3ALB - 03-01-2019

Doug,

Pretty sure the boat is still being steered. Why not write to the President with your concerns? Also, it seems to me the in the past things have been left as they were when time ran out. Is it not possible that the same thing might happen here?

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4ADC - 03-01-2019

Lou

That Daylight Savings must be working a treat for those south of the Qld/NSW border, because I suspect we are all in the dark up here - or at least some of us are.

I received the email (starting "I am writing to you on behalf of the WIA Education Group. This group has prepared the Tender Response for the future of Amateur Radio Assessments and Training. This has now been submitted to ACMA by the WIA Board.") from Ron Bertrand on the 15th December. 

I simply forgot to return the requested NDA and wasn't available for the online conferences anyway due to other happenings here. Should that make me penalised ?

Re your suggestion : I suspect that info wouldn't be forthcoming from the WIA President at this point in time unless I forward an NDA first.  I understand commercial-in-confidence but surely we, as stakeholders in (1) the WIA and (2) as Assessors, should be kept directly informed as to direction even without an NDA in place.

Having re-perused their NDA PDF, I probably would not have signed a document without an end date anyway, and that one was open-ended.

I guess eventually that someone will turn on the light !

NDA : Non Disclosure Agreement

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4ADC - 25-01-2019

I rang the WIA Office yesterday as I have been approached about an assessment and was told the WIA Deed expires 3 Feb 19 at midnight. The WIA Board have been on to the ACMA for an official outcome and this is expected within the next few days.

As for the assessment, if it happens before the 3rd Feb then it should be ok.
The recommendation was to delay the assessment.

I did request that the WIA email all assessors as soon as the future arrangements are known.

There is no news item about this on the WIA web site at the time of writing this so I am guessing the matter is not yet public - or even they don't yet know.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4ADC - 26-01-2019

Extract from WIA news for 27 January, 2019:

" Finally, an update on the Approach to Market (ATM) “tender” for the  ACMA deed related functions. The “deed” related functions are  primarily AOCP examinations and callsign management. As at  January 25 2019, there has been no formal announcement by the ACMA  as to the result of their deliberations. 

This is disappointing as the current deed is about to expire, which  will impact current and aspirant Radio Amateurs. 

The ATM specifies a start date for the successful provider of  February 4 2019, if there is no contracted provider by that date,  the functions will revert to the ACMA. Examination assessments  conducted on or after this date will not be processed by the WIA. 

This is Greg VK2GPK, on behalf of the WIA board."

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4ADC - 01-02-2019

There is BIG news coming. 

And some people are not going to be happy. Not very happy at all.

The WIA is expected to publicly release information shortly so stay tuned.....

As soon as it is 'out there', it will be posted to this thread.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK3ALB - 01-02-2019

Yes it's out there alright. It landed on Facebook where conspiracy theories are already flying.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4ADC - 01-02-2019

"
Changes to amateur radio qualifications

Following an open tender process on AusTender (Approach to Market reference 18ACMA148), the ACMA has selected the University of Tasmania—through its institute the Australian Maritime College (AMC)—to deliver amateur radio examinations, issue amateur certificates of proficiency and for related callsign management.

The ACMA thanks all organisations that expressed an interest in providing services, and also wishes to thank the Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) for its provision of services over the term of the current Deed, which came to an end on 1 February 2019. After that time, an examination conducted by the WIA will not be an approved examination for the purposes of amateur qualifications and the WIA will not have the power to issue further certificates of proficiency under the Radiocommunications Act 1992.

The ACMA is working with the AMC to finalise a Deed for the delivery of services and will also need to make enabling instruments to support the AMC’s activities. Once the Deed is signed, the ACMA expects the AMC to progressively commence delivery of services from 25 February 2019.

While these arrangements are being made, the ACMA will consider any applications for certificates of proficiency. A certificate may be issued if the applicant has successfully sat an approved examination under the previous WIA arrangements. The ACMA will also consider any applications for licences related to those certificates of proficiency and will assign callsigns to those licences on issue. Enquiries should be sent to licensing@acma.gov.au.

Last updated: 01 February 2019

"

I saw this earlier this evening in a PDF download from the Assessors' web site but didn't want to put it "out there" at that time. The above was copied directly from the ACMA web site ( https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/changes-to-amateur-radio-qualifications?fbclid=IwAR28it2WcBeSADuX5U-BDs7EIm7HXSvCsWp5hwnuHm-uvwexXaTGIFUWkoE)

That information accompanies a release from the WIA (partial extract only) :

"ACMA have announced the successful tender for Amateur Radio Examinations.

Advice has also been provided to unsuccessful tenders. 

It should be noted that the WIA is not in a position to conduct examinations or process callsigns from midnight tonight, the 1st February 2019. The WIA will release a statement shortly.
"

It will take a period of time before we are made aware of the full implications. It does mean that the fellow who recently approached "us" and requested a FL assessment is now lost in an awful mess of "don't know" because we are no longer able to undertake assessments.

I have yet to see how the AMC is going to arrange an assessment in outback Queensland, NSW or similar remote places.  I am thinking / assuming that they will also rewrite the syllabi so that practical tests are no longer required... That means they can do it all 'on line'.  It is all guesswork for now.

I also have a request from someone who held a callsign for a few years, let it lapse and now wants to get active again. Very soon.  Before 25th Feb.  How does this happen now ??

I suspect there will be more questions than answers forthcoming.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK5TM - 01-02-2019

And they are going to get this all done in 24 days (by 25th Feb) - yeah, I'd like to see that.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK5ZD - 01-02-2019

(01-02-2019, 09:59 PM)VK4ADC Wrote: "I also have a request from someone who held a callsign for a few years, let it lapse and now wants to get active again. Very soon.  Before 25th Feb.  How does this happen now ??"

The ACMA notice states that they will handle things (e.g. applications for licences) until AMC take over on the 25th.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4ADC - 02-02-2019

(01-02-2019, 11:47 PM)VK5ZD Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 09:59 PM)VK4ADC Wrote: "I also have a request from someone who held a callsign for a few years, let it lapse and now wants to get active again. Very soon.  Before 25th Feb.  How does this happen now ??"

The ACMA notice states that they will handle things (e.g. applications for licences) until AMC take over on the 25th.

I have already emailed the fellow the application form Amateur1 and given some direction as to what he should do now plus details of the previous processes re licence applications and how they may morph now. It is up to him from this point. 

Doesn't help solve the problem with the 'would-be FL' candidate though.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4ADC - 02-02-2019

From WIA news for 3rd Feb 2019 :

" from WIA Director Peter VK8ZZ

We have a late update on the Approach to Market (ATM) "tender" for  the ACMA deed related functions.

The ACMA has sent a media release advising the successful tenderer for the ATM. You probably already know that the successful tenderer was the University of Tasmania through the Australian Maritime College. Congratulations to the Australian Maritime College.

The announcement from the ACMA indicates that services will will not be delivered in full until some time after 25 February 2019 - the ACMA will be undertaking some of these functions until the AMC is  ready.

Amateur callsign recommendations will no longer be processed by the WIA. All Callsign queries should now be directed to the ACMA

Australia Communications and Media Authority
 Level 32 Melbourne Central Tower, 360 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne Vic. 3000
 PO Box 13112 Law Courts, Melbourne Vic 8010
 Tel: 03 9963 6800 Tel: 1300 850 115
 Fax: 03 9963 6899

info@acma.gov.au

The WIA has provided the ACMA with a proposal to transition out of  the deed between the ACMA and the WIA. This proposal is yet to be  formally accepted by the ACMA.

"

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4WDM - 02-02-2019

(02-02-2019, 10:26 AM)VK4ADC Wrote: From WIA news for 3rd Feb 2019 :

" from WIA Director Peter VK8ZZ

We have a late update on the Approach to Market (ATM) "tender" for  the ACMA deed related functions.

The ACMA has sent a media release advising the successful tenderer for the ATM. You probably already know that the successful tenderer was the University of Tasmania through the Australian Maritime College. Congratulations to the Australian Maritime College.

The announcement from the ACMA indicates that services will will not be delivered in full until some time after 25 February 2019 - the ACMA will be undertaking some of these functions until the AMC is  ready.

Amateur callsign recommendations will no longer be processed by the WIA. All Callsign queries should now be directed to the ACMA

Australia Communications and Media Authority
 Level 32 Melbourne Central Tower, 360 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne Vic. 3000
 PO Box 13112 Law Courts, Melbourne Vic 8010
 Tel: 03 9963 6800 Tel: 1300 850 115
 Fax: 03 9963 6899

info@acma.gov.au

The WIA has provided the ACMA with a proposal to transition out of  the deed between the ACMA and the WIA. This proposal is yet to be  formally accepted by the ACMA.

"
AMC already conducts exams for maritime radio, including practical tests, throughout Australia.  http://www.amc.edu.au/industry/omc

http://www.amc.edu.au/industry/omc/omc-fees-and-payment

I think this is a very positive move for AR. 

Wayne VK4WDM

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK2CSW - 02-02-2019

AMC and UTAS should have no difficulty delivering under the deed as they already do such work for marine radio certification.

I imagine that the marine radio invigilation and certificate processing is a far larger body of work than the amateur radio equivalent.

AMC have a network of providers and invigilators, I imagine that this will result in an expansion of that network and that it shouldn't take that much time to be put in place - the invigilators run the exams, they do not (necessarily) teach the subjects or mark the exams. Which means much of the current network could quite easily and quickly be 'invigilating' in pretty short order.

I certainly do not see this as a negative for amateur radio overall - it will be a set back for the WIA. I am not sure what the effects on the WIA will be as the ACMA was supposed to have been done on a cost recovery basis, which makes me believe the 'bottom line hit would not be that significant.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4WDM - 02-02-2019

(02-02-2019, 12:39 PM)VK2CSW Wrote: AMC and UTAS should have no difficulty delivering under the deed as they already do such work for marine radio certification.

I imagine that the marine radio invigilation and certificate processing is a far larger body of work than the amateur radio equivalent.

AMC have a network of providers and invigilators, I imagine that this will result in an expansion of that network and that it shouldn't take that much time to be put in place - the invigilators run the exams, they do not (necessarily) teach the subjects or mark the exams. Which means much of the current network could quite easily and quickly be 'invigilating' in pretty short order.

I certainly do not see this as a negative for amateur radio overall - it will be a set back for the WIA.  I am not sure what the  effects on the WIA will be as the ACMA was supposed to have been done on a cost recovery basis, which makes me believe the 'bottom line hit would not be that significant.

" it will be a set back for the WIA."  I don't think so. I am sure that there will be many in the WIA head shed who will be relieved because it will allow them to focus on other very (more?) important things.  My guess is that the AMC will contact existing WIA invigilators to see if they will join the new team.

Wayne VK4WDM

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK4AQJ - 02-02-2019

I predict that the examination process will become more expensive. It's probably self-evident.

RE: Future assessments - WIA or other ?? - VK2CSW - 02-02-2019

Hey Wayne,

I think it will be a set back in terms of needing to restructure and those associated costs (human and monetary) but once that is done I can see the regulatory weight being lifted could free up the team to look at other vital work.

Col

(02-02-2019, 01:28 PM)VK4AQJ Wrote: I predict that the examination process will become more expensive. It's probably self-evident.

Not necessarily self-evident.

Economies of scale and an already established 'path to market' mean that UTAS/AMC may actually be more efficient in their delivery.