Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
WSPRView for Windows - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: SPECIAL INTERESTS (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-30.html)
+--- Forum: Digital Modes (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: WSPRView for Windows (/thread-671.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

WSPRView for Windows - VK4ADC - 24-10-2018

WSPRView for Windows

I started writing this software because Leigh VK2KRR has been asking for a few changes for search options of the people at WSPRNET and not getting very far.  My thoughts were that if I was able to retrieve (basically) the same bulk data from their web site, maybe a little local processing/filtering might achieve what Leigh wanted. The difference is that the extracted data can be manipulated locally so there is a better chance of obtaining the desired outcomes.. That also means that development will be ongoing for a little while so you will need to check for version updates yourself (at least for now).

The software download link plus some descriptive text is available from :
http://www.vk4adc.com/web/software-projects/55-vk4adc-utils/186-wsprview-software-for-windows

New versions / bug fixes will be available periodically.

Try it and respond direct by email or PM with any comments..

Doug VK4ADC

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK2KRR - 25-10-2018

Doug,

Thanks very much for putting this together, its really appreciated.
Its working really well, I now have version 3 running, it looks great.
I'll get back to you later once we've used it a bit more.
I'll perhaps write a post later explaining to people how they may use WSPRView to locate high MUF E areas which could support 144 MHz operation.

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK2KRR - 25-10-2018

Doug,

Attached is an image of how I've got WSPRView3 set up.

As you can see, I have opened 2 instances of WSPRView and have one set up for 2m and one for 6m. Having the map on WSPRnet in the background sets it all off well.

I have VHF Dist Mode ticked and distance filters set up as you can see. 
Some people may be concerned about the MAX distance limit, its currently only able to go out to 1000 km, but I believe this is being extended in the next update. But one of the main reasons for this feature is to help easily identify areas of high E MUF when monitoring 6m WSPR which could go on to propagate signals on 2m. So hence, during those times this feature is excellent for showing only spots within the range that would show very high E MUF on 6m which is about 300 to 900 km (during those times of strong propagation there can be literally over 1000 reports in the database for an hour, so the ability to filter the results and time frame will make its so much easier). 
I also have SNR Alert ticked and set to +1 dB for the 6m band, as signals need to be showing quite strong in the 300 to 900 km range to help identify the high E MUF zones. This also allows you to differentiate between a direct E signal in comparison to a backscattered signal or tropo signal which typically will be much weaker over those distances.

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK2KRR - 27-10-2018

Just to help people in setting up WSPRView to help as an aid to identifying VHF band openings, here is a screen shot I took which you can see the settings I am using and also you can see how easily its identifying the path alert between myself and VK5PJ on 144 MHz tropospheric ducting.

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK4ADC - 15-11-2018

WSPRView V1.0.0.8 has finally been released today after several weeks of revision and enhancement.  

The web page at  http://www.vk4adc.com/web/software-projects/55-vk4adc-utils/186-wsprview-software-for-windows has been updated..  

The revision info starts with..

V1.0.0.8 has been the target of a significant internal rewrite of the signal processing and alert features. The user can now set the font colour and style (i.e. Normal / Bold) plus background colour for all displayed results. This version now implements TLS email support so can be configured to work directly with a user's email account at Gmail SMTP (and its ilk) for the emailing of alerts. A user-selectable audible alert option appears when alerts are set to On, there being a sequence of three same-frequency tones sounded when an alert is performed. The tone frequency is defaulted to 1200Hz but adjustable by a slider control between 400 and 2000Hz to suit the user. The email and colour setup is accessed by pressing the Emails/Colour button and can only be dismissed by the Save/Close button. Accordingly, the command line options for email setup have now been removed but the previously advised commands should still work. The brief on-screen hints have now been activated and appear as you hover your mouse over the various controls.

The software is now provided with a couple of text files included in the ZIP :
(1) a README.TXT which should be read as a matter of course as it will help solve issues before they cause annoyance;
(2) a brief guide to setting up the Gmail SMTP to accept emails from the WSPRView software. { Using GMail with WSPRView.txt } This is a must-follow when using Gmail settings as you won't get it to work otherwise. Other SMTP providers may need much the same setup info.

Continues..

Please report any bugs found !

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK2KRR - 16-11-2018

Hi Doug,

For some reason on my laptop Im getting this error coming up -

I'm also getting the same error on my desktop PC.

I didn't see this happening on work PC yesterday, so will fire it up on there again in a moment and see if it happens there.

Same issue on work PC now for some reason.

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK4ADC - 16-11-2018

Leigh

I have duplicated your settings and am running it here at the moment but no Index Out Of Bounds Error as yet..  Can't fix it until I find its cause.

Doug

UPDATE 6.05AM :  Not seeing it happening here with the same settings as yours. Will keep an eye on it later to see if it arises.

Hi Doug

On work PC I still had WSPRView V6 in the recycle bin, I started that one up and its working OK without the error msg.

Have also run WSPRView 6 again on home PC and its OK too.

Strange though how V8 was working OK yesterday. But the only PC I had tried it on was work PC at the time.

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK7HH - 16-11-2018

Hey guys,
I downloaded it straight from the net. Ran and got the index out of bounds (-1) error too.

Regards
Hayden

Leigh

As mentioned on the WSPRView web page, there has been a lot (and I mean a lot, days upon days) of change happen inside WSPRView since V1.0.0.7 was released   The data is manipulated in stringlists which have indexes and that error relates to a stringlist pointer trying to be set to an invalid data location. Problem is there are multiple lists used in the software all of the time and finding out which one is raising the error is the key.  Even the displayed data grid is a stringlist !

I haven't seen it come up this morning at all and I have intentionally been running it through the development environment so I can see and trace the cause.

Doug

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK7HH - 16-11-2018

(16-11-2018, 08:28 AM)VK4ADC Wrote: Leigh

As mentioned on the WSPRView web page, there has been a lot (and I mean a lot, days upon days) of change happen inside WSPRView since V1.0.0.7 was released   The data is manipulated in stringlists which have indexes and that error relates to a stringlist pointer trying to be set to an invalid data location. Problem is there are multiple lists used in the software all of the time and finding out which one is raising the error is the key.  Even the displayed data grid is a stringlist !

I haven't seen it come up this morning at all and I have intentionally been running it through the development environment so I can see and trace the cause.

Doug

Thanks for your hard work on this one Doug.

The implemented changes looks great, and the email alerts will be great to try out.
Thanks hope you find the bug soon.
Hayden

Hi Doug

No problems, and thank you also for your efforts with the software. Its pretty awesome stuff.

Only in the past 2 days have we really been able to test it out with the short 6m E hops, and it really helps.

Ive also posted about the software to a TV & FM Group I admin on Facebook as I think it would help them to also find areas of high 6m E MUF to aid in find FM signals.

Version 8 seemed a fairly big advancement in the software for sure, and I was enjoying it. Especially the different colours helped spot the alerts.

We can work with an earlier version for now until you have a chance to spot the cause of the version 8 issue.

V1.0.0.9 (when it gets released) has one new feature in it already : 

When you change bands, it can retrieve your last settings for THAT band.  For example, if you have it set to 6M then change to 2M then it will save the 6M settings before selecting 2M. If you have the tickbox 'Use Last' just above the Band selector ticked then it will re-use the last settings that were recorded for 2M.  Changing back to 6M then reloads the last 6M settings etc.. but only if the 'Use Last' box is ticked.  That way you can have custom timing, distances, alerts settings for each band.. 

It intentionally ignores which instance number is running so that if you have one WSPRView running on 6, starting a second on 2 (ie /2 on the command line) will use the 'common' 2M settings data if the  'Use Last' option has been selected previously in instance #2.. 

The Index error still hasn't popped up here this morning so I guess it will be a wait and see job on that. I haven't seen it at all during development so don't know why as yet. That fix will then be done in V9.

Doug

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK6RK - 16-11-2018

(16-11-2018, 08:21 AM)VK7HH Wrote: Hey guys,
I downloaded it straight from the net. Ran and got the index out of bounds (-1) error too.

Regards
Hayden

Same error here with 1008.  1007 is working fine under Win7 with current updates.

A few minutes ago I released V1.0.0.9  which I hope will fix the Index Out Of Bounds (-1) error.

I spent a while this afternoon looking through the program code and only found one instance that might have been the cause so have put a bit of extra values testing around that.  Hopefully there won't be further reports of it in V1.0.0.9 and it is all plain sailing from now.

Please advise if it now/still gives the same error.

Doug

RE: WSPRView for Windows - OZ2M - 16-11-2018

Hi Doug

"List index out of bounds (-1)" error here.  First installation on this particular PC.

Also another error: "'7.040014' is not a valid floating pointing value".

Hmmmm, just discovered that I downloaded 1.0.0.8. So looks like 1.0.0.9 is not online.

System here: Win10 Pro64 US.

Bo

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK6RK - 16-11-2018

Hi Doug,

Can confirm "List index out of bounds (-1)" error still exists.

Also as per 1008, the data is "greyed" out.

Sorry all, I blew it. I did everything except FTP V1.0.0.9 to the webserver.  It is there now though and I am still hopeful that the Index error is solved.

The version number and date is shown at the top LHS of the program form so it is easy to see which version software is being run.

Try again, all, please.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Downloaded V9, all seems to be working OK here initially.
Will run again in the morning to double check and will report back then.

RE: WSPRView for Windows - VK2KRR - 17-11-2018

Still no problems with V9 Doug, thanks for sorting that one out. Its really got an impressive list of features now.