Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
Hello all - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Hello all (/thread-598.html)

Hello all - VK3FDT - 12-07-2018

Hello to everyone,

Not sure if there is somewhere else I should say hello and introduce myself.   My name is Dave,   I was first licenced about 1985,   gave AR away 11 years ago thru lack of activity by others mainly,    for some reason I made a return over a year ago,  and at times I wonder why,   I have decided to give 2 mtrs SSB a try,   and this is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever tried on 2 Mtrs,   that being CW  on 144,100,   not that my speed is good now,  10WPM,   but one day it might just happen that I get a reply in cw,   then again I might win a million dollars one day also.

It seems a pity that 2 mtrs is so inactive,  maybe it's more of a summer activity, I find the antennas interesting to build, and easy to handle unlike HF monsters which I can't be bothered with now, I sold all my antennas and good gear off when I last quit AR.
I had enjoyed in those years portable, particularly QRP,   even at my age being 80 yrs,  portable is still fascinating,   but now I need to drive to the TX point, not walking so good now.

I do remember what I think was some of the best DX  activity back in the 80's,  portable, mobile antenna, 30 watts ssb,  10 watts CW,  virtually worldwide contacts and at times difficult to go QRT with stations trying for contact before I closed down,  I'm sure I won't see those conditions again.
So I think I have said enough and probably bored everyone, but us olduns do live back in the past.

Dave    VK3FDT

RE: Hello all - VK4ADC - 13-07-2018

G'day Dave

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

Re 2M CW, well you are not alone.  I have been on air for over 50 years and the changes in the activity, and the types of activity on air these days, are far removed from that in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.   Back then, 144.100 was THE PLACE to hang out on SSB (post AM) but the move to FM, repeaters, now voice digital modes, these have all been to the detriment of the 2M SSB mode.  The greatest activity on 144.1, plus 144.2 as the secondary calling frequency, seems to be on weekends - where previously almost any night the calls you made provided a QSO.

The other time we see a burst in 2M SSB is during the VHF/UHF Field Days but, in accordance with contest rules, activity is usually on 144.150 SSB, 155, 160, 165 etc. Unfortunately, the Winter FD event has now passed so we have a nominal lull for several months until the 2018 Spring FD.  The RD Contest is coming up in August and it often means 2M SSb activity, 144.150+ etc..

Many 2M operators are taking up digital-based modes for meteor scatter, FT8 and their ilk, but these stay away from 144.1 and .2 on purpose. All you hear are "buzzy sounds" as you tune across those spot frequencies.

The advent of IRLP and Echolink on 2M and 70cM FM has opened up the QSO choices to the whole world though. Your 2M FM radio with a DTMF mic and CTCSS can be used to open a wormhole through a local node (Google any terms you aren't sure of) and the other end could be in almost any country you choose from the node list.  So 2M isn't a dead end, you just need to expand your view beyond CW and SSB.

The CW bit could be an issue though. The need for CW dropped some 15 (+/- ?) years ago when the tests were eliminated from the licensing process and it is mainly only the "old heads" that are still around who seem to do much of it. Most of that is on HF rather than VHF too. I still tune across the bottom end of 20 or 40 and hear CW signals working away. I have a hand key that I could use but don't seem to get around to using, and am more likely to use CW generated by the shack computer anyway. I can still read >15WPM by ear last time I checked - just saying !!

Enough from my soapbox for now   Big Grin

73 Doug VK4ADC

PS I am not yet into my 70's so still have a bit to catch up to you..

RE: Hello all - VK3FDT - 13-07-2018

Hello Doug,
                      And thank you for the welcome  and very detailed information,  it's very much appreciated,    those frequencies are helpful,   2mtrs can be a bit hard to work out where you should be if you are not used to it, mainly need to be sure of where you should not be.    I have had a brief look at the newer digital modes like WSPR, JT65 etc,   and for me I  just find them like contest modes,  which is for me boring, some of the best contacts I have enjoyed were very weak CW and also SSB where you need to work harder for the QSO,

it's much more satisfying, but then that's only my opinion,  and I realise we don't all enjoy the same mode,  now PSK is good, it usually contains a lot more than just a signal report. Okay Doug thanks again, now I have a better idea of 2 mtrs.

73  Dave  VK3FDT

RE: Hello all - VK4WDM - 13-07-2018

(13-07-2018, 07:57 AM)VK4ADC Wrote: ...
Hi Dave

I am almost 74 and was first licensed when I was 18 so I have been around the bands for a while! What I can honestly say is that I am still totally amazed and enthralled by ham radio and I intend to stay that way, if my health allows, until I finally blow my finals and the guys in grey suits come to take me away – and then I will be still banging on the lid and saying “hang on, I’ve still got a of lot of AR things to learn about and try!

Yes things have changed. Back “in the day” CW was king, SSB was just starting to take hold, 80m and 2m were chock full of signals, conditions were great, but we not back in that day now, and neither we should be – ham radio is supposed to be a progressive hobby.

As I sit here today I have quite a simple station: FTDx1200 for HF/6m, an old FT847 for VHF with a transverter for 23cm. A multiband HF vertical 6.6m high and a log-periodic yagi at 8m for VHF and UHF, but the important things are the “modern day” changes that make ham radio as interesting and exciting, and yes, challenging as it ever was.

We have more bands to use. Interfacing radios with computers (and that is not hard) has ushered in a whole new world with digital modes that have an efficiency that we could not have even dreamed about “back in the day.” I VHF vertical and a bit of long wire for HF can work wonders.
There are a lot of resources in the internet for propagation prediction, activity reporting, homebrew projects by the hundreds.
Yes, the atmospheric conditions are not good for 20-10m but 40-30 conditions can be excellent, although patchy. A lot of activity is digital, but there is still plenty of CW (I unashamedly use a key board for sending and a computer-decoder to help with receiving) and SSB activity.
I have now worked 14 US states using the FT8 digital mode, including my longest ever 80m contact to New Hampshire – what a WOW! That was!

You are right Dave, there is not a lot of “plain vanilla” operating on 2m SSB but there is a heck of a lot of meteor-scatter activity, and using aircraft-enhancement for longer-distance contacts is a real thrill. Sporadic E propagation in the summer can give VK-ZL wide contacts. There is the extensive FM repeater network with internet linking as Doug mentions. Then there are satellites to work through. So 2m is very much alive and well, just changed its focus!

You also need to let others know that you are interested in 2m SSB or CW contacts. Just blindly putting out a CQ on 144.1 seldoms works these days. Put some calls out on the local repeater asking if anyone is interested. I was also encourage you to use the VKlogger site  where you can see who is on the band and arrange skeds. Registration is free at: http://www.vklogger.com

Wayne VK4WDM

(Maybe I am just a big kid, but am I enjoying ham radio after all these years? you betcha!)

RE: Hello all - VK2CSW - 13-07-2018

Hey Dave,

Welcome to our little sewing circle.

A nice bunch of smart folk here, they must be nice 'coz they help out numpties like me!

Cheers,

RE: Hello all - VK5PJ - 13-07-2018

Hello Dave, yes winter on VHF can be a challenge, there was a strong community going inthe S.E on 144.100 SSB and 144.200 SSB, some times people like Gavin, vk3hy would break out the CW key. While summer sees more activity from the shack due to me not freezing in my shack, I also keep a look out for the calm slow moving Hi pressure systems that can be a real treat.
I must admit I have not been all that active in the mornings of late but hope as the days get longer to be there more often.. I have a good take off to VK3 so hope to hear you on, feel free to call if you hear me.

Regards,
Peter vk5pj

RE: Hello all - VK3FDT - 13-07-2018

Hello Wayne,
                     Thank you for your input / suggestions,    looks like needing to teach an old dog here new tricks hihi,     I had actually joined VKlogger,   a bit confusing at this stage,  but I'll keep trying to get the feel of what goes on there.  you mention FT8,    there seems to be so many new digital modes,  surely it must be confusing as to who is using what,  looks like I might have to give one of these a go to at least have an experienced opinion, but  I think the PC needs to be connected to the NET,   I run my internet PC in one room and my other one  for things like PSK and SSTV thru my antenna system in another room.

73  Dave VK3FDT

(13-07-2018, 03:58 PM)VK5PJ Wrote: Hello Dave, yes winter on VHF can be a challenge, there was a strong community going inthe S.E on 144.100 SSB and 144.200 SSB, some times people like Gavin, vk3hy would break out the CW key.   While summer sees more activity from the shack due to me not freezing in my shack, I also keep a look out for the calm slow moving Hi pressure systems that can be a real treat.
I must admit I have not been all that active in the mornings of late but hope as the days get longer to be there more often..  I have a good take off to VK3 so hope to hear you on, feel free to call if you hear me.

Regards,
Peter vk5pj

Hello Peter,
                    I'll certainly keep a lookout for VK3HY,   like I had said my CW is not great now but it would almost like striking gold to get a cw contact on 2 mtrs,   I had tried it years ago but nil results, and I'll also listen out for you as well VK5PJ.   I have to admit at my age I'm not a morning person for radio until the clock gets to around 11 am,  but I am out of bed 7.30 am 7 days a week,  my German Shepherd needs his breakfast early, BTW he is a dog hihi, so I do it for him.

73 Dave VK3FDT

(13-07-2018, 01:37 PM)VK2CSW Wrote: Hey Dave,

Welcome to our little sewing circle.

A nice bunch of smart folk here, they must be nice 'coz they help out numpties like me!

Cheers,

Hello Colin,
                    And thanks for the welcome,      Well I almost feel like a novice,  I'm so out of touch with all these new modes etc.

73 fer now.
                   Dave VK3FDT

RE: Hello all - VK4WDM - 14-07-2018

Hello Again Dave

FT8 is the "flavor of the year" for digital modes, last year it was JT65, who knows what it will be next year? There is still some PSK and quite a lot of RTTY. The rest of the modes tend to be used by smaller dedicated groups. As you have picked up on, FT8 is easy to use and effective but like JT65, a bit robot-like and soulless, but it is keeping the bands active during this time poor conditions and identifying some surprising propagation paths and band openings on both on HF and VHF.  I find it useful to look at the FT8 signal reports and when they are reasonably high, try CW or SSB.

You don't have to have the PC directly connected to the transceiver to run digital unless you are using modes like Echolink (lot of fun) where the net is part of the signal path, but a direct connection does allow easy setting of accurate PC time that is essential for digital operations. Having said that, I find that an accurate mobile phone works well enough to set the time. You are going to need an interface between the transceiver and the PC. Probably the most common one in use, and the easiest one to use IMO is the "Signalink USB."

Having said all that about digital stuff, I agree that the VHF scene could do with a big stir-up so see what you can stir up down there. Hams are still wanting to learn CW. Maybe you could get some together for a tutorial net on 2m (but not on 144.1 ).

How to work you on 2m during the summer E season, yep will do CW but a bit slow these days.

RE: Hello all - VK2KRR - 15-07-2018

(13-07-2018, 12:29 PM)VK3FDT Wrote:  I have had a brief look at the newer digital modes like WSPR, JT65 etc,   and for me I  just find them like contest modes,  which is for me boring, some of the best contacts I have enjoyed were very weak CW and also SSB where you need to work harder for the QSO,
 it's much more satisfying, but then that's only my opinion

Hi Dave,

I think your in the Geelong area so your QTH would be OK to my direction as long as there are no close by hills to your NE.

Regarding WSPR, its not a QSO mode, but a beaconing mode. A number of operators use it to keep track of the tropospheric and ionospheric propagation conditions and keep the shack alive and monitoring even if we are not available in the shack, we can then monitor the WSPR database from the shed, back paddock or at work, others can do so from all around the world if their interested in observing whats happening in our area. They do say use it or loose it which is where many of the upper ham bands are heading due to the complacency of many operators (or non-operating licence holders maybe we could call them). 

WSPR is the most sensitive mode and has many other logging and mapping advantages etc, and is great to discover paths that would otherwise not have been thought possible by using more conventional methods. Radio's do have to be rather frequency accurate and stable though to get the most out of it.

I personally also use 2m WSPR to look out for potential paths which may become workable on SSB voice, as are most of the guys. When the WSPR signal levels reach a certain strength we know that we can switch over and catch a voice QSO if we so desire. I dont bother with JT65 or other QSO modes unless its completely necessary and cant be done via voice modes.

Like the others, hope to hear you on air sometime. And yes, a lot of licence holders go into hibernation in winter as they think propagation only exists in the summer, but this is not the case. You will find more activity from about November to March for sure.

I use the KST Chat pages when available in the shack (and sometime out of the shack), the Region 3, 144 MHz page mostly http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php

RE: Hello all - VK3FDT - 15-07-2018

(15-07-2018, 09:49 AM)VK2KRR Wrote:
(13-07-2018, 12:29 PM)VK3FDT Wrote:  I have had a brief look at the newer digital modes like WSPR, JT65 etc,   and for me I  just find them like contest modes,  which is for me boring, some of the best contacts I have enjoyed were very weak CW and also SSB where you need to work harder for the QSO,

Hi Dave,

I think your in the Geelong area so your QTH would be OK to my direction as long as there are no close by hills to your NE.

Regarding WSPR, its not a QSO mode, but a beaconing mode. A number of operators use it to keep track of the tropospheric and ionospheric propagation conditions and keep the shack alive and monitoring even if we are not available in the shack, we can then monitor the WSPR database from the shed, back paddock or at work, others can do so from all around the world if their interested in observing whats happening in our area. They do say use it or loose it which is where many of the upper ham bands are heading due to the complacency of many operators (or non-operating licence holders maybe we could call them). 

WSPR is the most sensitive mode and has many other logging and mapping advantages etc, and is great to discover paths that would otherwise not have been thought possible by using more conventional methods. Radio's do have to be rather frequency accurate and stable though to get the most out of it.

I personally also use 2m WSPR to look out for potential paths which may become workable on SSB voice, as are most of the guys. When the WSPR signal levels reach a certain strength we know that we can switch over and catch a voice QSO if we so desire. I dont bother with JT65 or other QSO modes unless its completely necessary and cant be done via voice modes.

Like the others, hope to hear you on air sometime. And yes, a lot of licence holders go into hibernation in winter as they think propagation only exists in the summer, but this is not the case. You will find more activity from about November to March for sure.

I use the KST Chat pages when available in the shack (and sometime out of the shack), the Region 3, 144 MHz page mostly http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php

(15-07-2018, 10:21 PM)VK3FDT Wrote:
(15-07-2018, 09:49 AM)VK2KRR Wrote:

Hi Dave,

Hello Leigh,
                   Yes I'm in the Geelong area,    and okay about wspr.    My 4 el yagi is vertical at this stage,   it gets me into a Melb repeater where I'm monitoring Easypal  digital video mode,   so I will need to go horizontal for SSB,  I could build another yagi, and I have room to add another element,  or I might find horizontal still gets into the repeater.   I have no idea what would be an acceptable power output for SSB,  I know Peter  VK3YE runs successful QRP 5 watts, but he is also  very experienced and knows where to be at the right time.   my output power is only 25 watts,  I'm using an old TR9130,  I suppose my yagi could be giving 7db gain, as I'm told it booms into the repeater using my 4 watt handheld.   I have been considering getting the FT857 which is all mode HF, VHF, UHF , that way when I go portable I only need to take one rig, but it's only 50 Watts VHF. anyway I do hope to hook up with you and others in the near future.

73        Dave VK3FDT

RE: Hello all - VK3FDT - 15-07-2018

(14-07-2018, 09:24 AM)VK4WDM Wrote: Hello Again Dave

FT8 is the "flavor of the year" for digital modes, last year it was JT65, who knows what it will be next year? There is still some PSK and quite a lot of RTTY. The rest of the modes tend to be used by smaller dedicated groups. As you have picked up on, FT8 is easy to use and effective but like JT65, a bit robot-like and soulless, but it is keeping the bands active during this time poor conditions and identifying some surprising propagation paths and band openings on both on HF and VHF.  I find it useful to look at the FT8 signal reports and when they are reasonably high, try CW or SSB.

You don't have to have the PC directly connected to the transceiver to run digital unless you are using modes like Echolink (lot of fun) where the net is part of the signal path, but a direct connection does allow easy setting of accurate PC time that is essential for digital operations. Having said that, I find that an accurate mobile phone works well enough to set the time. You are going to need an interface between the transceiver and the PC. Probably the most common one in use, and the easiest one to use IMO is the "Signalink USB."

Having said all that about digital stuff, I agree that the VHF scene could do with a big stir-up so see what you can stir up down there. Hams are still wanting to learn CW. Maybe you could get some together for a tutorial net on 2m (but not on 144.1 ).

How to work you on 2m during the summer E season, yep will do CW but a bit slow these days.

Hello Wayne,

I have enough trouble trying to identify modes like msk, olivia,  etc, etc,  rtty is easy and psk also.   No CW on 144.100,??  that's where it gets confusing, according to the WIA 144.100 to 144.400 is CW / SSB, 144.100 is a national primary calling frequency, and 144.200 is secondary,  so I'm guessing 2 mtr users have adjusted  their own rules,   but it make it hard when you try to follow WIA designated frequencies,   is it possible WIA have never updated their Frequency lists ????.  144.220 to 144.240 digital DX modes.
Any way I do hope to catch up with you and the others on 2 mts 

Dave   VK3FDT

RE: Hello all - VK4WDM - 16-07-2018

(15-07-2018, 11:39 PM)VK3FDT Wrote:
(14-07-2018, 09:24 AM)VK4WDM Wrote: Hello Again Dave

Hello Wayne,

I have enough trouble trying to identify modes like msk, olivia,  etc, etc,  rtty is easy and psk also.   No CW on 144.100,??  that's where it gets confusing, according to the WIA 144.100 to 144.400 is CW / SSB, 144.100 is a national primary calling frequency, and 144.200 is secondary,  so I'm guessing 2 mtr users have adjusted  their own rules,   but it make it hard when you try to follow WIA designated frequencies,   is it possible WIA have never updated their Frequency lists ????.  144.220 to 144.240 digital DX modes.
Any way I do hope to catch up with you and the others on 2 mts 

Dave   VK3FDT
Sorry about the confusion.  144.1 and 144.2 are still the calling frequencies for both SSB and CW, but after making contact there the best practice is to QSY to another frequency. What I meant was, if you do establish a CW net don't continue the net on 144.1 Smile 

Wayne VK4WDM

RE: Hello all - VK3FDT - 16-07-2018

Sorry about the confusion.  144.1 and 144.2 are still the calling frequencies for both SSB and CW, but after making contact there the best practice is to QSY to another frequency. What I meant was, if you do establish a CW net don't continue the net on 144.1 Smile 

Wayne VK4WDM

All okay Wayne,
                        I somehow doubt if I'll ever need to worry about that,   but you never know,  a strange thing might happen. I might even get a CW reply.

RE: Hello all - VK4ADC - 17-07-2018

Dave

Don't hit Quote, just use the New Reply button underneath. That avoids all of the nested quotes that I have been editing out... 

These posts are all in the same thread ('Hello all') so re-quoting isn't necessary - or desirable. 

Doug, admin

RE: Hello all - VK3FDT - 17-07-2018

(17-07-2018, 07:32 AM)VK4ADC Wrote: Dave

Don't hit Quote, just use the New Reply button underneath. That avoids all of the nested quotes that I have been editing out... 

These posts are all in the same thread ('Hello all') so re-quoting isn't necessary - or desirable. 

Doug, admin

Sorry Doug,
                    I don't want to give you extra work.

Dave  VK3FDT