Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
WIA Licence Conditions submission - final comments - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: Regulatory, Licencing & Exams (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: WIA Licence Conditions submission - final comments (/thread-584.html)

WIA Licence Conditions submission - final comments - VK2ZRH - 13-06-2018

The WIA Board and Spectrum Strategy Committee are calling for "final comments" on the draft Licence Conditions Determination submission to the ACMA.

Deadline to respond is midnight 30 June 2018. 

Posted in the interests of sharing the news.  Smile

RE: WIA Licence Conditions submission - final comments - VK4SMJ - 19-06-2018

Just read the WIA's "final Comments". I think overall a very well done submission, and I also feel the improvements asked for are not in excess at all.

1 point though.

Can a foundation licence holder use a SDR radio?

It appears to me that the answer is no!

2.1.1 Permitting use of digital modes(for foundation licence) and the last paragraph says and i quote below :-

"With increasing technology development, and the use of digitally-generated transmission modes, particularly with Software-defined Radio (SDR), the WIA believes that selecting permitted modes based on current and past practice is an unnecessary hindrance to future experimentation that also unnecessarily adds to the regulatory burden."

I was surprised when i read that paragraph. I know of a few F calls that have for example the IC-7300. Is using a digital radio a breech?

Anyway i hope WIA's Final Comments are taken on board by the powers that be at the ACMA, and that they make a final decision soon.

RE: WIA Licence Conditions submission - final comments - VK4WDM - 20-06-2018

(19-06-2018, 09:32 PM)VK4FAUS Wrote: Just read the WIA's "final Comments". I think overall a very well done submission, and I also feel the improvements asked for are not in excess at all.

1 point though.

Can a foundation licence holder use a SDR radio?

It appears to me that the answer is no!

2.1.1 Permitting use of digital modes(for foundation licence) and the last paragraph says and i quote below :-

"With increasing technology development, and the use of digitally-generated transmission modes, particularly with Software-defined Radio (SDR), the WIA believes that selecting permitted modes based on current and past practice is an unnecessary hindrance to future experimentation that also unnecessarily adds to the regulatory burden."

I was surprised when i read that paragraph. I know of a few F calls that have for example the IC-7300. Is using a digital radio a breech?

Anyway i hope WIA's Final Comments are taken on board by the powers that be at the ACMA, and that they make a final decision soon.
My take on this is that there is no problem with SDR receivers. The ban is on SDR-generated transmitter signals. Am I correct?

Wayne VK4WDM

RE: WIA Licence Conditions submission - final comments - VK4TS - 20-06-2018

Wayne,

I read it that they are trying to open up all digital modes so they are not defined in the legislation - Next week a new variation eg FT9.5 comes out and if it is not covered then you can't use it...