Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
VK3 microwave activity day - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: Contests, Field Days, Portable Operation, JOTA, SOTA (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: VK3 microwave activity day (/thread-531.html)

VK3 microwave activity day - VK3ALB - 17-03-2018

Hi All,

Rob VK3MQ has called a microwave activity day on the morning of April 2nd. Yes, that's Easter Monday but it is what it is and I'm sure we could all do with a bit more fun on the bands. You may have read about it on the Yahoo VK-Microwave mailing list but for those that are not members here is the gist of it

Hi Folks,

It has been some years now since the last VK3 2.4GHz QSO Party, but now it is BACK.

This time with 1296MHz and 3398MHz or anything else you might like to try.
The event will be held on Easter Monday 2018, April 2, between the hours 1000 and 1200 E.A.S.T.
Liaison Frequencies: 144.180 MHz USB, 146.500MHz FM simplex and 147.000MHz FM (VK3RGL repeater)
Calling Frequencies: xxxx.150 Mhz USB, xxxx.225 MHz JT4f (or FT8?)

You can use the time to test a new portable location, evaluate a new rig or antenna, swap a picture on SSTV, try a digital mode or just have FUN!

I look forward to working you all.

73's Rob VK3MQ

Three of us, Matt VK3PP and Chris VK3ACG and myself will be operating from the hills above Portarlington (QF21HV70) on the Bellarine Peninsula. We have a magnificent view of the bay and the hills surrounding Melbourne out to Ballarat, the You Yangs, Mt Macedon, Kinglake, the Dandenongs and around to the Mornington Peninsula and beyond. The view to our west is obscured by our hill but you never know, we may just hear you.

Don't forget to register your intentions on Contest Radar so people know where you are. I suggest you register no later than Sunday night to give those without internet access in the field a chance to download and print a list of stations first thing Monday morning.

The chance of interstate contacts is probably minimal but that shouldn't stop anyone from doing their own thing in their own region. You may recall the chatter that came out of the the 3.4GHz days a few years ago. I reckon we could all do with a bit more happiness like that.

Thanks to Rob VK3MQ for his initiative and showing us that it's pretty easy to get an activity day running. Tell your friends and hope to hear you out there.

RE: VK3 microwave activity day - VK3PY - 19-03-2018

Good on ya Rob!

I'll definitely be on deck for this operation. It's been way too long between drinks! Not sure about 23cm, but several microwave bands from 2.4GHz to 10GHz ought to be do-able. QTH will be Bayview in the Barrabool hills, QF21CU, as usual.

Chas
VK3PY

RE: VK3 microwave activity day - VK3PY - 28-03-2018

Well, I'm now out of this event, my wife having torn her Achilles tendon, leaving her pretty much incapacitated.

This all happened yesterday while I had my microwave gear out on the work bench giving it the once-over in readiness for the event. It's amazing the lengths some wives will go to in order to prevent a ham outing!

Good luck to those of you who will be out there. If circumstances permit, I might just throw my 3.4GHz panel transverter into the car for a quick'n'easy operation from a nearby elevated QTH. Liaison will be via the VK3RGL/2m repeater.

Chas
VK3PY