Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
FTDX-5000 VFO Changing? - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Forum: Transceivers, Transmitters & Receivers (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: FTDX-5000 VFO Changing? (/thread-521.html)

FTDX-5000 VFO Changing? - VK4CCV - 24-02-2018

Hi All,

OK, have just bought myself a new FTDX5000 and is now my main unit, taking over from the FT847 which is now primarly used for satellite work.
With the 847, changing from VFO-A to VFO-B was just a matter of pressing the VFO switch.

For the life of me I can't seem to be able to make one VFO active over the other.

Pressing the A  or  B on the top left of the dial doesn't make the swap like I was expecting it to.

There are many VFO setting on these things - have I missed the bus on this this simple request?

Pete

RE: FTDX-5000 VFO Changing? - VK3ALB - 25-02-2018

Hi Pete,

Perhaps what you are expecting is to exchange the contents of VFO A & B? In a conventional transceiver that is what I expect. On page 24 of the user manual it mentions a couple of A/B buttons that might be what you're looking for.

One button (41)  transfers the contents of VFO A to VFO B
One button (42) exchanges the contents of VFO A & B

BTW I don't own one of these but for such an expensive and feature rich radio you'd reckon they could have put a little more effort into the manual.

RE: FTDX-5000 VFO Changing? - VK4CCV - 25-02-2018

Haha, that's funny Lou, yea, the manual is pretty much a poor effort, but that seems to be the trend these days. I work for Caterpillar and I look at the Service Manuals of old and they were great, very informative and very explicit when it comes to systems operation. Today....... you have to read between the the lines so much. Half the time we have to go back to the factory just to have things confirmed.

And I see that here. The manual for the 847 isn't too bad to understand, but as you said, the complexity of the 5000, one would think the manual would suit the complexity in it's functionality.... Hmmmm, not the case.

Yep, you have pointed me in the right direction and button 42 does what I was wanting.

Thanks again Lou.

Pete VK4CCV

RE: FTDX-5000 VFO Changing? - VK2EHQ - 25-02-2018

(24-02-2018, 02:38 PM)VK4CCV Wrote: Hi All,

OK, have just bought myself a new FTDX5000 and is now my main unit, taking over from the FT847 which is now primarly used for satellite work.
With the 847, changing from VFO-A to VFO-B was just a matter of pressing the VFO switch.

For the life of me I can't seem to be able to make one VFO active over the other.

Pressing the A  or  B on the top left of the dial doesn't make the swap like I was expecting it to.

There are many VFO setting on these things - have I missed the bus on this this simple request?

Pete
Pete,

Just to the right of the main VFO knob, is the first of the smaller knobs. Its on page 26 of the owner's manual and is numbered 61.

Just above this knob are two small buttons/LEDs. Green for receive on the left and Red for transmit on the right.
Basically , go to VFO B as you just did and then press the two buttons in addition.
If you want to just monitor VFO B, stay on VFO A and just press the small green button only.

Cheers,
Peter VK2EHQ

RE: FTDX-5000 VFO Changing? - VK4CCV - 25-02-2018

(25-02-2018, 09:43 AM)VK2EHQ Wrote:
(24-02-2018, 02:38 PM)VK4CCV Wrote: Hi All,

Pete
Pete,

Just to the right of the main VFO knob, is the first of the smaller knobs. Its on page 26 of the owner's manual and is numbered 61.

Just above this knob are two small buttons/LEDs. Green for receive on the left and Red for transmit on the right.
Basically , go to VFO B as you just did and then press the two buttons in addition.
If you want to just monitor VFO B, stay on VFO A and just press the small green button only.

Cheers,
Peter VK2EHQ

Thanks Pete,

Haven't things changed over the years.
I think over the next few months I will discover what this rig is all about - steep learning curve.
It's only been out of the box less than a week.

Pete