Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
How to simplify logging? - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: SPECIAL INTERESTS (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-30.html)
+--- Forum: Digital Modes (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: How to simplify logging? (/thread-1413.html)

How to simplify logging? - VK2CSW - 25-04-2024

I am sure every digital user has hit this wall.

After a successful session, there is always the "paper work" and it is getting ridiculous. All of the "QSL" services that folks seem to expect are a right royal PITA to keep up to date, such as; LOTW, eQSL, QRZ.com.

I use WSJT-X and that is run in conjunction with JT-Alert that generally upload to eQSL on the fly.

This leaves QRZ.com and LOTW which both require mucking around editing the adi file (to simplfy the date filtering) then uploading to each site.

I used to upload directly to QRZ.com in the same manner as eQSL but that is now a subscription feature.

It looks like all of the local logging software that JT-Alert works with are also subscription.

In all this I still end up with no local log.

Maybe just use a paper log and send out QSL cards?  That seemed to work for 100 years or more Smile

So how do folks do it?

RE: How to simplify logging? - VK2AZ - 26-04-2024

Hi Colin,
I have been using DXKeeper which is part of the DXLab suite for about 10 years now, which is free.
It is not the easiest software to master and has a big learning curve, but once you master it, you will not need anything else.

Having said that, a lot of people seem to be using Log4OM 2 which should do everything you need, and it's free.

I suppose the way to decide is to make a list of what your end requirements are and go from there.

Windows or Linux?
Which 3rd party services: LOTW, eQSL, QRZ.com, Clublog, physical cards ...... etc....

I'm sure everyone here will give you their own suggestions.

RE: How to simplify logging? - VK5PJ - 26-04-2024

Hello Colin,
a lot of the online services do not like the raw WSJT ADI file as it lacks some wanted details, to combat that problem I have gone the LOG4OM route, it is free and regularly updated. It uses a SQLlite database and can be used as an installed app or as a portable app, your choice.

It handles all of the services you mentioned, it calls the TQSL application for LOTW but ONLY when you close the log program. You can use as much, or as little, as you like in it. too many cool features in there like listening on network ports for the ADI broadcast from WSJT-X so it can accept data from other PC's in the house to one log program.

If you want to have a look maybe we can arrange a time for a shack visit and a coffee to see mine in action?

RE: How to simplify logging? - VK2CSW - 26-04-2024

Thanks Gents. I will have a look at both systems.

Honestly, I must be getting old or something. Years ago I liked nothing more than to get my teeth into some new software or hardware. To battle the unknowns and whip it into a working thing.

Now? I seem to ask "why can't things just work?" Smile

I may take you up on your offer, Peter. I'll be away for a while (off to YJ land for a spell), so I will touch base when I get back.

RE: How to simplify logging? - VK6RO - 27-04-2024

I have used paper log books for 100% of my logging up to maybe 6 months ago... since 1978

A local told me about Gridtracker and i really like the fact that gridtracker automatically uploads to LOTW  EQSL and CLUBLOG within seconds of finishing a FT8 QSO.

I only use LOTW for ft8 and to get rare or new countries confirmed if they only do LOTW.

I use paper log books for 100% of contacts other than FT8.

I can log to other services i do not use

Maybe check it out here

https://gridtracker.org/

cheers graham vk6ro

RE: How to simplify logging? - VK2CSW - 28-04-2024

Thanks Graham,

I had a very quick look and it certainly does a lot.

With all of these tools it may require a technology rethink - they all require so much screen real estate.

The laptop screen won't fit it all in (I am already stacking windows).

Of course, that will mean a redesign of the radio rack and bench I just built, which will mean a redesign of my modelling bench, which means a redesign of my first order storage, which means a rethink of the workshop layout, which will affect lighting, which will affect cable routing...

Does it ever end?  Smile Big Grin

RE: How to simplify logging? - VK5PJ - 28-04-2024

Colin,
the gridtracker software will run on a Raspberry PI to lower the load on your central device if you wanted to go that way. You can tell WSJT-X to broadcast its data to a network address where the PI is listening for it. This might help with your screen / CPU resources on the laptop but of course then you need a second monitor to view the gridtracker info.

Maybe the redesign should revolve around a pair of monitors (do not skimp on the quality of the monitors) and a USB-C docking station for the laptop, these dock's allow you to extend ports from the laptop to the ports on the dock and mostly connect over a single USB-C cable. We use hundreds of these where I work and the teachers just walk into the room, then connect to all the room equipment (TV sized display screen / keyboard / mouse / power) with one USB-C cable. This would allow you to easily remove the laptop for trips away or use in another room, without undoing the eventual spaghetti of connections we all usually end up with.

just a thought Big Grin

Peter,

Processing power isn't an issue. Although I do have a Pi or two kicking about...

Networking is border line - the POE just makes it to the shed (I am on a semi-rural property so distance comes into it).

I already use a dock at the bench. As you say, I plug in the laptop and all is good.

Well except the network won't connect until I unplug the USB CAT converter - once the ethernet is up I can plug the CAT back in and all is good. I haven't dug into why this is the case yet, since as soon as the network and CAT are both up I am busy chasing DX Big Grin

Physical real estate for the monitor/s is the constraint, which seems odd, as for the first time in my life I have a large secure shed or two!

Next time I wander out there and set up I'll grab a snap of the set up.

This is the current operating station set up.

The alignment of benches is to use as much natural light as I can get (old eyes and all!)