Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
Dipole for 6m - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: BAND BY BAND (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-28.html)
+--- Forum: 50MHz (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Dipole for 6m (/thread-1408.html)

Dipole for 6m - VK2CSW - 14-04-2024

Clearly, I didn't think this through.

Late yesterday afternoon, probably subconsciously prompted by an email from Nick Hacko's DXing.com.au mail list, I decided to cut a wire dipole for 6m and have a play.

I have never used 6m before.

I worked out the starting lengths of the wire and cobbled together a "suck it and see" dipole out of bibs and bobs that were laying around. So far so good.

This morning after cooking breakfast on the BBQ I wandered to the shed and grabbed a ladder, picked a handy eucalypt tree and hoisted up the antenna.

Again, so far so good.

I ran some coax to the bench and started to hook it up.

Then I realised why I haven't done 6m before. I don't have an antenna analyser or VSWR meter that does 50MHz.

Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes 

I guess I need to order a NanoVNA or something, meanwhile I will investigate how to use the internal SWR meter in the FT-857D.

Like I said, I didn't think this through...  Tongue Tongue

RE: Dipole for 6m - VK5TM - 14-04-2024

You can't think things through Wink

If you do that, then things all work out perfectly Dodgy and you lose all the fun of working out why things don't work and what you did wrong Big Grin

RE: Dipole for 6m - VK2CSW - 14-04-2024

Yes, it does seem the best way Big Grin 

Although I must be a genius at cutting wire.

According to the internal SWR meter it is perfectly flat right across the 6m band!  So why do I feel sceptical? Cool

When we get back from holidays, I can see a NanoVNA in my future...

RE: Dipole for 6m - VK4ADC - 14-04-2024

Ahhh.. Perfectly flat across the band...    Maybe that 'coax' is one of those new-fangled attenuators that is manufactured to look like coax cable ??? 

In reality the coax might not be far off being a total attenuator in it's characteristics at 50MHz so full power in, none reflected, because it is all swallowed in the cable !!

RE: Dipole for 6m - VK2CSW - 14-04-2024

Doug,

I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be onto something...

RE: Dipole for 6m - VK5PJ - 15-04-2024

Hello Colin,
if in doubt abut it working, have a listen to 50.456 (BV on Mt Kitchener) or 50.450 (Mt Lofty area) for the two 'local' beacons. if wanted I can easily put up some data on 50.313 FT8. VK9DX only appears here spasmodically as Es at this time of year can be quite fickle

RE: Dipole for 6m - VK2CSW - 15-04-2024

Cheers Peter.

I retrieved the dipole from the tree on Sunday.

It is currently on a workbench waiting for the waterproofing silicon to set.

I will put it back up and have a listen for the beacons, as you suggest.

I must say working on wires (or elements I suppose) that are in the region of 1.42m long is far easier! Who needs two tress when two branches will do!