Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Downlight QRM questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We need to get some lighting in our lounge room /  kitchen.

I recall hearing that down lights used to cause QRM for some people, is that correct?

If so, is this still the case with new lights these days? or has the manufacturing standards been tightened up to prevent RFI?

Any particular brands that might be better than others etc?

Thank you.
Hi Leigh,
One possible way is to buy one, or possibly borrow one from a retailer, and try it. A suck it and see approach.
Otherwise it is a bit of a lottery. I presume you are talking about LED lights.

Nev
Hi Leigh,
When we did our kitchen up, I opted for transformers and 50W halogen for, over the sink.
Being chief plates and cutlery washer, the electricity use (2x 50W) is minimal.
In the dining-lounge I went for circular fluros again with an iron core transformer.
In the kitchen over a Star-Light black island bench, 5x 13W LEDs in Edison Screw.
All OK.

BUT, the Electrolux battery upright vacuum charger !!!!

NBN FTTC, the DSL line is very noisy. It's only about 10m underground and 5m in the house.
Ferrites don't help much.

It does seem, the all-in-one lights (240VAC powered) are not too bad. But, the longer the wiring
either side of a switchmode p/s the more it radiates.

Alan VK2ZIW
Hi Leigh,
if you get a chance, go to your local trades supplier (where the electricians go) and tell them what your need is as far as a need to chose the right one, you may get a good response like I did where he let me take a few if I left a deposit and then brought back the ones that were noisy. I settled on one brand & model (cannot remember which) that was undetectable RF wise when turned on in the house. Then bought 5 more to complete the kitchen lighting... changed from 6 x 50 W halogen to 6 x 12 W LED which made for a far happier power bill and crisp light for the work tops (has selectable colour temp too). As others have said it is hit n miss as brands come and go so it is definitely suck and see for best results. Halogens are great heat generators so do not miss the sun burnt head Big Grin
regards,
Peter, 5pj
Thanks for the responses guys. Will try get some test units.
have you had a look on https://qrm.guru

they have listed a number of LED lights/brands to determine which are RF quiet

eg https://qrm.guru/led-down-lights-resolvi...e-problem/
The article is well worth a read
Doug VK2DCR
Thanks yes interesting read. Very good.