Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: My Thoughts and Review of the Icom IC-7300 - The Best HF/6m Ham Radio!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]What can I say, the Icom IC-7300 is an amazing radio! I'm glad that I purchased this radio and can't wait to use it more. I believe that it is the best HF/6m ham radio that I have owned.

In this video I describe my thoughts and review what I most like about the Icom IC-7300 and the things that I also dislike.

Do you own a Icom IC-7300? What do you think?
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/color]
Watched your video yesterday, just happened to search for 7300 reviews and yours was on the list at 2 hours old. It's a good review.

I'm about to buy 1, I know a lot of people who have this radio and no one says anything bad about them.

Bang for buck I think this radio is a deadset winner. I cant think of any radio on the current new market that comes close too this radio's features at this price.

Sure I'd love a 7610, but the price difference is huge and my missus would lose the will for me to live if i lashed out on one Tongue

I'll be selling one of my current radios, but I cant for life of me decide which 1. The IC 7410 or the IC 756proII.. love them both.
(18-08-2020, 02:49 PM)VK4FAUS Wrote: [ -> ]Watched your video yesterday, just happened to search for 7300 reviews and yours was on the list at 2 hours old. It's a good review.

I'm about to buy 1, I know a lot of people who have this radio and no one says anything bad about them.

Thanks for your comment Steve!

Good luck with your impending purchase and good luck. I'm loving mine for sure!
Hi Hayden
I always wondered why there has been a large volume of used 7300's its almost like people buy them and then just sell them in a few weeks/months. Not owned one yet as the lack of a LAN port was a deal breaker for me.

nice Youtube review.

Peter, 5pj
Thanks for the review Hayden,

The single USB connection, does it provide two, three or more different USB devices?
Audio via such as a C-Media CM-119 or Creative XXX ?
Serial port for CAT control.
Second Serial port for DTR or RTS PTT control
BandScope port

And/or, does it have a Mini-DIN 6pin for audio in/out and PTT ?

My Linux box here is a webserver on the internet and thus could easily be a remote server.

Reason, FreeDV, a mode 700D repeater.

Alan VK2ZIW
Hello Alan,
based my Rapberry PI and Ubuntu installs both the Audio and Serial devices are auto detected and show as a standard Audio and Serial devices. Now as I do not have a 7300 but I do have a 7100 and the more modern 7610 plus an older 7600 and all behave the same in that respect for detecting devices over USB. As far as the mini din on a 7300 I can not comment on that. but it does have the ubiquitous full size 8 pin DIN that has all of the needed audio PTT and other control lines in it... so if you have a standard TNC-2 lead it plugs straight in to the ACC-1 connector.

Peter, vk5pj
(24-08-2020, 06:52 PM)VK2ZIWThanks for the review Hayden, Wrote: [ -> ]The single USB connection, does it provide two, three or more different USB devices?
Audio via such as a C-Media CM-119 or Creative XXX ?
Serial port for CAT control.
Second Serial port for DTR or RTS PTT control
BandScope port

And/or, does it have a Mini-DIN 6pin for audio in/out and PTT ?

Hi Alan,
The single USB connection provides one COM port and a audio driver connection. On the IC-9700 they fixed it to provide two COM ports over USB for separate CAT control and PTT etc.

The connections on the back also provide a ACC socket (plug gets supplied) and a CI-V control port.