Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Radio Reminiscences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Attached are my experiences in Amateur Radio I put down one night whilst being bored during the lockdown.

Nev
18 downloads and no-one's commented.

Well done Nev, a good read and you've motivated me to put pinkies to keyboard soon too.
Thanks Andrew,
I am glad I did it. The more I wrote, the more lost memories came flooding back from my learning days in Amateur Radio.
I suppose I should have described building power supplies and modulators as well but that might have made tha epistle a bit long.
I must admit that I enjoyed the early days more than the mid 70s onwards. "In the days when the world was wide" to quote Henry Lawson.
Nowadays I find WSPR an interesting mode to see the state of the HF bands. It's amazing how little power you need to get around the world, even in the sunspot cycle minimum. I hope to be around when the maxima arrives, who knows?

Cheers
Nev
Hello Nev, when you sit down and look back there are always some special moments in our radio life. I have been considering doing a short story about my days at Jindalee from a HAM;s point of view, when it was far less formal than it is now.. people asleep on keyboards and RADAR's looking backwards all in the name of science Big Grin

regards,
Peter vk5pj
Thanks Peter,
Your experiences at Jindalee would be very interesting indeed to amateurs. I can't wait for the first instalment!
I was a bit surprised at the lack of response to my epistle. I half expected a few of the OTs out there to put down their memories. They were great days. Perhaps I was perceived as blowing my bags. I don't know.
Anyway, I enjoyed doing it. It awakened memories I had completely forgotten.
Senility hasn't got me yet!

Nev
And now finally attached are my largely radio-related reminiscences.

C'mon folks - join in with yours too Smile
Thanks Damien,
Everyone's story is different; that's what makes it interesting. I hope others take up the challenge.
Only 4 downloads in 24 hours tells me the forum is a bit quiet at the moment which could explain the lack of interest/responses.
Time will tell I suppose.

Nev
Actually the downloads may have been more. I forgot to include some stuff in the first version, so this morning I edited my post, deleted the attachment and added the new one Smile

Yes, there are many with far more interesting stories than me, so hopefully some will come out of the woodwork.

This is also an opportunity to record individual histories.

When we're gone, .....
I'll do mine when I can find my round-tuit Big Grin
Terry,
I couldn't find one for a few weeks of dithering. A rainy day did the trick!

Nev
Bunnings or ebay.
Watch out for the Chinese clones.
Neither.
I got a nice locally made porcelain one, not one of those cheap and nasty muckmetal imports. Cool

Nev
I think it's supposed to cold for the next couple of days, so no laying pavers or putting up fences, means I might actually get it done.

Poor apprentice wages meant my round-tuit was only cardboard, couldn't afford the fancy ones  Smile
OK, here are my ramblings Angel  (and yes it was bloody cold this morning - minus 4.3C, although better than the minus 6 of the day before)
Great stuff Terry - a good read Smile

Thanks for sharing.
Agree, now it's Peter VK5PJ's turn with his yarns about Jindalee. Smile

Nev
Mmm - Secret Squirrel stuff ...
I occasionally do a bit of work on the JORN (Jindalee) project. Although I never get to go on site.
(23-06-2020, 02:28 PM)VK3LU Wrote: [ -> ]Attached are my experiences in Amateur Radio I put down one night whilst being bored during the lockdown.

Nev

Great story Nev - I have a similar one but need to put pen to paper too sometime but with two children and a wife and running two businesses here with my wife working too and I don't get much time to do any ham radio right now. Hopefully in the coming years and with the new cycle approaching it should be good timing to get back on the air.

73s de VK6NKG

George.
(06-08-2020, 04:48 PM)VK3LU Wrote: [ -> ]Agree, now it's Peter VK5PJ's turn with his yarns about Jindalee. Smile

Nev

Hi Nev,
 working on it but find myself getting carried away in the details, most would be boring to those who were not involved.  Have a second sanitized version I am working on as well, hopefully this second one will not see me in court Big Grin under the official secrets act.

Peter
Pages: 1 2