Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Shielded Ethernet cable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone point me to a link for where a good place would be to source shielded ethernet cable?

Thanks
Leigh

As far as I am aware, there is no product marketed as shielded ethernet cable.  The way ethernet cable is made  (research CAT5, 5E and 6 construction and characteristics) wouldn't allow for a shielding to be fitted, and how would the shield/ground connect given the use of RJ45 plugs everywhere, with no shield pin ??

Might be a case of going back to Ethernet base-T, usually double shielded 50 ohm coax plus T pieces and 50 ohm terminators. Only 10MB/s though.

Doug
Hi

You can buy STP, shielded twisted pair, cable. But as far as I know an RF proof installation is very difficult to make. I suggest to find a certified installer, at least for consulting, and not "Joe the Cable Puller from the local corner shop".

Bo
There are two types of shielded Ethernet cable, STP and SFTP.

One has each individual wire insulated and the other has an overall shield (like coax).

Altronics sells the second type - W2574 and W2755 - but note that it also requires special connectors that have the shielded metal surround on them and are a real pain to terminate.
I might not have been correct but at least I stirred up a question that had previously remained unanswered !!!!

Maybe it's being away from this stuff too long now, being retired and all..  BACK IN THE OLD DAYS,....
Leigh, can easily buy off the shelf STP (Shielded twisted pair) patch cables, the plugs on there will have an easily identifiable metal shield on the plug outer.  If you need it to go through walls then there is also STP infrastructure cable.   As Terry mentioned, you need compatible sockets / plugs to use with it.  Look around for a local ISP who does wireless home internet installs, there outdoor cable should be STP and they should have all the gear to terminate it.  Now be aware, you should only earth one end of the cable as far as I remember or you end up with earth loops.

Regards,
Peter, 5pj
Next question should be:
How fast do you need the ethernet to be?

And, there is a reason for this:

If you have a 200m run, 100Mbits might be unreliable and 10Mbits will be just fine.

Way back (1985) in a factory we had the "backup" site in the rear corner 500m away
and an office in the middle. We ran RG8 cable. Worked fine as 1500m is the max.
Remember, the Ethernet spec was for university campuses and industry.
Way before optic fibre. Alan VK2ZIW
Thanks for all the responses and info guys, thats great.

VK5ZD

Note that 10MBits produces a lot less RF noise than 100MBits.
And 100MBits is less noisy than 1000MBits Smile