Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Antenna Base Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

Can someone advise what thread size is on the base for a FAMPARC or Outbacker type antenna?

And/Or who makes or sells a suitable base for mobile mounting?

Cheers
It depends on whether the antenna itself has a protruding thread (male) or an internal thread (female).

Most of the (female) helical HF whips screw onto a Mobile One SAM antenna mount. :

https://www.mobileone.com.au/7b_mounts.html

SAM : Heavy duty antenna mount with PL259 side connector to suit 1/2" antennas. 

For Antennas 3MHz to 100MHz

I have a HF land mobile whip which has a male end (still 1/2" Whit) so I used a 1/2" joining (construction-use) collar that I bought at Bunnings some years ago, screwed that tightly to the base of that whip, and then it became compatible with the SAM base on the front bullbar of the 4WD - the one that suits some of my other (1/2") amateur HF whips !  I used a second steel collar and a suitable sized/thread steel bolt (5/16", 26TPI) plus some welding skills to fabricate a heavy adapter to use on the SAM to adapt for my 5/16" helical HF whips too.
Hi Doug,

Thanks. 1/2" BSW it is then.

I have fired off an email to Mobile One to see how much the SAM mount is.

Cheers