Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Email asking for contact to go in QRZ.com!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently received an email from a european amateur claiming we have worked in the past and could I post the contact on his QRZ entry. He gave detailed instructions on how to do it.
We have never worked.
I presume he wanted me to increase his tally on his page.
I replied asking for details as to when, what band and mode was used. Needless to say there was no response.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
I found it rather distasteful to be honest, being asked to falsify records.

Nev
I got one of those too, but from a ZL2, asking me to go his QRZ.COM entry... and it went like this :

Kia Ora (hello) from New Zealand

You Have a nice QRZ Page, can I have your flag by clicking web button in Blue line
more info on MY QRZ Page
Can you click my web button on my QRZ page 73 ZL2xxxxxxx (callsign removed)

Thanks for your time 73,88
Sent from Samsung S10

I went and perused his QRZ entry after logging in there, but was not inclined to push any 'web' buttons..  There obviously were quite a few people who did as was requested as there was quite a long list of callsigns showing. 
I didn't get the impression that it was to fabricate QSOs though.  Maybe it was an off-air COVID isolation activity, there seem to be a number of those type of things around.
Hi Doug,
Your request is different to mine. Yours wanted a flag clicked to indicate a visit to his page.
Mine wanted to confirm a qso that never happened to boost his tally.
Poor behaviour in my opinion.
Here is the email. I have deleted his callsign.

Hi VK3LU,

I am IKxxxx and we've had one or more QSO in the past. I am attempting to collect your Web Contact on QRZ.com and I am kindly asking to add your contact to my page. It is a really simple process just needing 10 seconds:
-- enter in https://www.qrz.com/ with your login
-- look for my call sign typing IKxxxx or just clicking on this link https://www.qrz.com/lookup/ikxxxx
-- click "Web" Tab
-- a box with "Add your Web Contact" label will be appear, just click in the button at the end containing the label "DE VK3LU"

Thank you, I will be really happy to have your contact on my page

73 de IKxxxx de xxxxxxxx

Nev
I had a look at IKxxxx's page.

He's not asking you to add any details about a QSO, just to add your call sign to a particular page (why I have no idea although data harvesting comes to mind).

If you look at all the green callsigns on that page, they were all added on the same day (100's of them).
Maybe so Terry, but what got me was his claim that we have had contacts when we hadn't.
That is not on.

Nev
Yes, agreed that is not on.

and rubbish to make up the 30 characters  Tongue