Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: New interference source across the road
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Somebody has decided that it would be a good idea to build a 200kW solar panel interference source less than 100m from my place - not happy Jan  Sad

We got the development notification from the council yesterday and have 10 days to lodge an objection, which is way less time than needed to do a proper RF baseline interference study (@ $3500 plus the cost of the report, which I don't currently have just lying around at the moment).

So, any other suggestions as to what I can do that may prove useful as proof of what the RF baseline was before they build this thing?

As far as using the "It interferes with my broadcast TV/Radio reception" line, the ACMA classifies this area as a "Fortuitous reception area", so unlikely to be of any use in any possible dispute.
I hope you don't have to follow my example when FTTC NBN came to town.

After much angst and many hours on phones and chats with my RSP, NBN got involved. They were very helpful and recabled from their equipment in the street to the first point, did a bunch of tuning etc. Which lessened the RFI.

The "solution" in the end was to put the radio back in it's box which freed up bench space that now has been taken over by plastic scale models.
You piqued my interest with FTTC interference, so I've started a new thread.
Hi Terry,
 use an AM band receiver to survey the strength and readability of the common AM stations in your area, pay careful attention to the reception of the ABC transmitters.

If the install impinges on your ability to receive ABC AM, you should claim that your safety has been put at risk as you can no longer listen to fire safety warning from the ABC, which given the current climate, is a very sensitive issue.  If it proves to be the case, it will affect all of your neighbours so you can get a wait of numbers on your case and not be a lone wolf crying in the wind...  local petitions, involve the local member etc once it impacts on more than you Big Grin

I used this base line to get my fixed wireless NBN fixed as the out door unit wiped out my AM broadcast reception.

You may be lucky and they use proper C tick equipment that has RFI suppression built in.  I have had both SMA and Fronius equipment here and can not even tell it is turned on.

Good luck.

Peter, vk5pj
Unfortunately, as I said above, we are considered to be in a fortuitous reception area, even for the ABC, so no help from those that should be providing it.

If you look at the ABC coverage maps, we are right in the gap between the Adelaide 891kHz and Naracoorte 1161kHz transmitters.

Trying to get either of them in the house during the day requires quite some acrobatics and holding various appendages in just the right place and at night, forget it, they get swamped by DX stations. In fact, anything in the MW band gets swamped by DX stations at night.