Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: 144 MHz ZL to VK1,2,3,4,5 19th Dec 2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wooo! What an excellent late afternoon propagation blast we had between New Zealand and Eastern Australia today reaching as far as 3174 km. Propagation mode remains up to what ever you think it might be really, but I can tell you that this morning we had tropo noted on 144 MHz WSPR from ZL1SIX as far as Melbourne, and the tropo had been lingering all day from around Sydney area and to the north a bit over 2000 km (the tropo from Sydney and further north still going now). Around 6.30pm the 144 MHz WSPR spots suddenly extended as far as VK3ZAZ at 2854 km as well as a couple of other VK3s, then at 6.40pm ZL1SIX WSPR beacon was RXd by VK5AKK at 3174 km. After this and as word spread more and more stations were in on the action. Including myself with a rare ZL 2m signal which is a first for me, and also for John VK2YW at Wagga NSW.
The Sporadic E component seemed to end to the majority of stations around 1 hour after it started around 7.30pm Aust eastern daylight sav time.
Fantastic stuff everyone, the ZL1SIX WSPR beacon proving its worth its weight in gold for finding openings.
E's and tropo or double hop Es? who really knows, the fact the signals got through is all that really matters.
Attached are screen shots of the map and 12 hr data, and also sudden green highlighted signals on WSPRView which is indication paths in excess of 2400 km.
Remember to check on VK Spotter page when this happens to look for voice or other QSOs if interested.

[attachment=377]
Above: That moment when WSPRView just exploded with paths in excess of 2400 km!

[attachment=375]
Above: 2m WSPR map

[attachment=376]
Above: 2m WSPR data
I made a lot of SSB and some CW CQ calls on 2m during this event with no results.  Does that mean that the signals detected by WSPR were too weak to support those modes (maybe I should have tried JT65 or FT8?) or is it that ops simply don't bother with the "legacy" modes now?

I noticed the same with the big VK and ZL wide opening on 6m today. Heaps of FT8 with signals well into the plus range but only the very occasional station using SSB or CW.

Wayne VK4WDM
Hi Wayne

I'd say that you were too far north. The 2m WSPR map shows no paths to VK4FP, who I think you are near.

The more northerly paths to Bris area were Tropo as I am aware, and the Es or E extended paths were down south of Sydney into VK3 and VK5 etc but was only present for an hour.

When it comes to 144 MHz, I know that those using WSPR, if able to, are eager to call on SSB voice or other digital mode (FT8 usually) when they get an indication on WSPR that the band is open somewhere, esp on Sporadic E.

On 6m WSPR, the band is open so often currently, that I would say most people have no need to be calling on voice, but they would be monitoring the propagation to see if it ends up somewhere rarer such as USA, EU and then calling on voice or FT8 depending on signals.
Also on 6m many stations seem to use FT8 a lot, and rarely call on voice, though it probably depends on signal strengths too I would guess.
Hi all,

Are you aware we are also playing with JS8Call Ver 2.1.0 on 50.318 MHz
using it's Super Slow mode ie. 30 sec frames.

It's "like" FT8 but allows free text for keyboard to keyboard QSOs.

Alan VK2ZIW