Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Australian HF Touring Club
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Notification received of a new HF network club:

http://www.aussiehf.club/index.html

One way to stop the music is to move away from the "Home" page Smile

VK2AOH

Well another one ! I have lost track of the H.F outback radio networks there are, thought there would be enough on air gasbagging with the networks already in use.

I remember the VKS737 network which I was a member of an was excellent although costly. H.F can give great security and ability to talk to other travellers and get real time road, weather conditions etc.

The main reason I dropped VKS737 is with amateur radio can do the same thing at far less cost should I need comms in real remote outback areas.
You sparked my interest and I did a quick search and found a SWL site that lists the frequencies and sked times of some of these networks. I have posted the link for those who may want to listen in.
swld.com.au
My future travel plans do not include the likes of the VKS737 or this HF Touring Net. I will have amateur HF on board with an array of antennas for different bands and will use them as needed, or will use the normal cellular phone network if I need assistance. An amateur-based caravanners net might be a reasonable option for me.

My XYL and I have recently returned from a caravanning outing Brisbane->Port Macquarie->Brisbane with a few overnight stops along each way. I have an IC-706 Mk2G mounted in the vehicle and had a 40M whip mounted on the back but did no operating while travelling. The focal point of your concentration always has to be on the road and the van if you are going to travel safely. I did, however, have a bit of a tune around from the car on 40 and once on 20 while stationary and set up for the overnight stops.

My IC-7000 has been used inside the caravan a number of times and connected to either a HF helical mobile whip, or the wire inside a 7M long squid pole, mounted from either the drawbar or on the rear bar of the van but I found that once I had driven a few hundred kilometres tourist-ing, and gone through the van setup process, I didn't think it worthwhile setting up the squid pole antenna just for the one night.

There is a Topic Group on this forum (' NETS' under General) for any type of net activity, be they club nets or maritime, caravanners.... Simply post any available details there so that others can explore the options.