Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Small toroids - winding tips wanted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have to wind some FT37-43 toroids, but the fingers are not as nimble as they once were, does anybody have any tips for making the job easier.

Mostly single windings with a couple of bifilar ones to do.

Space considerations mean I can't use bigger toroids.
Hi Terry,
I saw something about that some time ago and what I vaguely remember is that a piece of tapered dowel is used to sit the toroid on. As you pass the wire through the toroid it is lifted then put down again, thus holding the wires in place.
I think that was the idea but don't quote me Confused Confused.

Cheers
Nev
I thought I saw something along those lines a while ago, a chopstick or something, but can't find it on the 'net again.

A bit of shaped dowel in a block of wood to hold it steady and keep both hands free sounds like an idea.
Have a look at Alan Wolke’s W2AEW YouTube channel. Video #151.  You can see the chopstick technique in action. 

There are a lot of good videos there that are well worth exploring especially as Alan is a Tektronics tech.

Regards
Bernard
Thanks Bernard, I'll have a look.
Had a look at the video, looks like it will the way to do it.

As mentioned by Bernard (thankyou), plenty of other video's to have a squizz at, time permitting.
Always a pleasure Terry.

Alan can explain some complex concepts quite simply. I found his videos when trying to learn how oscilloscopes can be used by amateurs. 

What I like is that he will take a topic such as Bias-T's and draw it out on paper, explaining the why, then show one in use and measure the results. Want to know about Smith charts, then there is a video for that as well...

If you want to soak up even more hours, have a look at The Signal Path youtube channel. I don't understand a lot of what Shahriar is saying (though I constantly pick up little bits of info for later use) but I like the thorough analysis and therefore approach to a repair on what is typically a really complex piece of kit such as a spectrum analyser.

Have a look at TSP #26 video...where he explains the various connectors used for microwave and mm-wave systems and the various sub variants of some of these along with the Production, Instrument and Metrology grades of the same. Connectors ain't just connectors (unless all you use is PL-259 which does not get a look in anyway).   Smile

So many people to learn from and the good part is that you can watch them again and again until it makes sense.  

Hours of fun...

Regards
Bernard