Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Forum : Tapatalk access has been switched off temporarily
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
21st March 2019 :

Despite upgrading the Tapatalk interface to the latest code available, the use of Tapatalk is creating a series of errors on the web server running this forum.

The outcome of this is that Tapatalk access has been switched off temporarily until there is a permanent fix available and applied.

There will be some experimentation to evaluate the issue and that will mean some intermittent access may be available.

Access will not be considered restored permanently until users are notified under this topic / thread.
Has there been any progress with this Doug?
Lou

I have just uploaded the latest release of Tapatalk over the previous one and activated it.  I will check in a few days and see what/how the error log is showing, as (/if) users start utilising that option.

If it again shows the style of errors seen previously then the only way I can actually 'fix' Tapatalk is to virtually crash the whole Forum software and rebuild from scratch with it based on the most recent release of MYBB and then import the current database. Then add the plugins, go through the system configuration etc.. Needless to say I am reluctant to do this as it could take me anything up to a couple of days to get it back to 'normal'. Even then I suspect that custom things like avatars will be lost.

Back a few sub-versions ago, MYBB removed some database fields but Tapatalk still wants to use them - and it is this that causes the errors and a quickly growing error log. I don't want to randomly move the code away from the standard distributions as that will cause me grief every time there is an update.

It may be disabled again in a few days - but that depends on accumulating errors.

Doug
Tapatalk seems not to be contributing any errors at the moment, possibly because I re-created the database fields that it wanted to use and even though these are not now used by the main forum system.

The errors may reappear when another forum software update is applied (which often mod's the database) so I'm not going to categorically state that its presence is permanent. Time will tell.
Hi Doug,

It doesn't appear in my search list any, tried both AHRDF, Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum. Do you need to republish it?
Lou

It took a little while for TapaTalk to re-validate but it is there under AHRDF.net - I found it via the Tapatalk app on my tablet a short time ago.

Now I just have to hope that there are no web site errors accumulating as a result !!

Doug
Tapatalk is generating errors separate to the database errors mentioned in a previous post, possibly due to its operation under PHP 7.2, which causes this to appear in the error log "" <message>count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable</message>

The problem is that the error log is growing rapidly and will probably have to be deleted daily ( growing > 15MB a day).

I have dropped the PHP version back to 7.1 to see if it resolves enough to allow Tapatalk to run until its next update is available - hopefully it will then be fully 7.2 compatible. PHP 7.2 is the current release and the software must be able to operate based on the current release. (Also note Admin's comment re PHP versions causing VKLogger end of life !)

However, if 7.1 does not solve the issue then I will have no other choice than to remove Tapatalk completely.  The forum does have a mobile-friendly template available to smaller display devices so, while removing Tapatalk is not desirable, it will not prevent Forum access on mobile devices.

I do not want to have to go into the Forum file system to manually delete a file every day - or every second day - to prevent disk storage and backup issues.  Just not happening !!
19 October 2020 : Tapatalk has been deactivated, probably for good.

Apologies to all tablet users but the Tapatalk support module is now throwing up lots of errors and I have no inclination to rebuild the whole forum package (including database) so you will need to do a normal desktop emulation through your browser in future.

I have been getting errors for some time so I removed the support code this morning, installed the latest version from Tapatalk and it is now far worse than it has ever been. Errors galore.

Sorry guys, not happening.

73 Doug, admin