Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: update your insurance for shack items
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
 it may seem like an odd topic but a recent fire here outside the wall of my shack has left me with a lot of damage to the inside and outside of shack shed and now dealing with the insurance company about the damaged electronic equipment.

While some of the fire came into the room via a wall mounted air conditioner and melted the pull-off plastic face plate, there was no direct damage to gear from heat (phew) just smoke and everything was covered in a fine soot from the melted plastic.

Anyway I had NOT updated the list of ham gear with the insurance company so feel a bit uneasy claiming on the more expensive recent gear that now has damage to the front panels from the burning plastic soot (lots of little divots).

Our Insurance company has been very good so far but thought others might need a reminder to update your contents insurance  Shy

Peter, vk5pj
Thanks for the reminder.

We updated the laptop some time ago and that hasn't been changed on the insurance policy - Mondays first job.
Update, April 2019, Insurance company is now dragging its heals after a brilliant start and has appointed a loss adjuster, which just seems to be another layer in the hurry up and wait process. I honestly thought I would be back on air by June but now not so sure..

Peter, vk5pj
I had the same problem with an insurance company a few years ago after storm damage.

Tried all sorts of rubbish to get out of paying.

In the end lodged a complaint with the finance industry ombudsman and they paid up within 2 weeks.