Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Today's keyword : Sponge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to Wikipedia, the description of sponge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponge_(tool) is: 'sponge is a tool or cleaning aid made of soft, porous material. Typically used for cleaning impervious surfaces, sponges are especially good at absorbing water and water-based solutions. Originally made from natural sea sponges, they are most commonly made from synthetic materials today.'

Of course, I am referring more to computer-related sponges : the person who sucks everything in and only performs the reverse when extreme pressure is applied. 

Others may refer to these people as Lurkers, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker : 'In Internet culture, a lurker is typically a member of an online community or PLN who observes, but does not participate.' That Wikipedia entry provides an extensive breakdown of "the good, bad and the ugly" of Lurkers and deserves a full read.

In the sponge/lurker context to me, I see a lot of callsigns visit the AHRDF Forum each day as evidenced by the 'Who's online Today [View full list] at the bottom of the main page of the Forum.

Maybe... these visitors have nothing to contribute - and maybe they do. Everyone has some expertise and can make relevant comments on topics. If they don't then fine, suck it all in and learn, and eventually contribute.
Maybe...  they have questions that they haven't been able to find answers to elsewhere on the internet and shuffle through existing forum topics instead of directing their question(s) to the AHRDF community.
Maybe... they should just try harder to 'participate'.

So going back to the sponges keyword, do you relate to a wet sponge, a dry one - or something in between ?
(12-03-2019, 07:52 AM)VK4ADC Wrote: [ -> ]So going back to the sponges keyword, do you relate to a wet sponge, a dry one - or something in between ?

Just a damp one Tongue   Smile
VK5TM  were you VK8TM ? and had ur photo on front cover of CQ magazine years ago?

With a telco or 2 way radio  tower in the background?  [from memory]

If so i think i worked you on 2 metres ssb on sporadic E years ago?

I read the txt in the chat first before coming here ... was trying to work out the sponge reference, all sorted now..
I have a big sponge between my ears but it is full of big holes.

I don't think you can judge this site on how many people contribute to the discussion or ask their own questions, but on how many benefit from the information provided, which in my case, is a lot.

Wayne VK4WDM
No, I've only ever been VK5ZHX and then after a break from radio, VK5TM after the morse requirement was dropped.

Coincidentally, VK8TM is also a Terry.
6RO
Terry (vk8tm from Alice Springs) is now vk4hq

Peter, ex vk8zlx
You do all realise that you could have asked, answered and updated the off-topic comments using the Private Messages system rather than posting against this topic ????

The PM option is a button on the lower toolbar on the LHS for most users while the Edit, Delete etc is on the RHS.

Alternatively, click on the Private Messages text at RHS on the top toolbar to select the recipient(s), compose your messages and read any replies.

Doug, admin