Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: TV Tune to 445 Mhs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone tuned a DTV down to 445 Mhz We have a project to set up a DTV Tx on 445Mhs DVB-T and wonder if this will be viewable by the public will the average TV tune down to it if they do a search.
Thanks
 Russ VK4DCM
That is very much going to depend on brand and age of the TV.

It seems older ones are easier to get to tune low down the band but auto detection may or may not work, so manual tuning will be needed - if provided on the set.

Manual tuning on newer sets appears to be disappearing and auto detection is very hit and miss on lower strength signals.

VK5ZD

While the tuners in modern TVs are capable of receiving 445.5MHz, the software that controls them will skip that part of the band because they know it's not used for commercial TV transmissions. Some TVs (not many) will allow you to manually enter a frequency.

A couple of years ago I spent a long time searching for such a TV. It's not easy; you need to get hold of the remote control for the TV and go to the DTV tuning section in the menu to see if it will accept a manual frequency input. Try explaining that to the average salesperson; you get some really strange looks! My search ended when I found a suitable TV (Viano brand from BigW).

I also just checked a new Samsung UHD TV I bought a few days ago and it also allows me to manually enter a frequency. Even if the TV does allow it, trying to explain the process to Joe Public is not going to be easy!
My SAMSUNG here will do 423, 431, 439 and 447MHz only.
At $50 all I wanted was a HDMI monitor for a Pi.

Alan VK2ZIW