Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: WIA 1year membership for qualification changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is Aidan, VK4APM for this week's board comment.

2018 was a year dedicated to righting the ship and dealing with sins of the past.

As the dawn rises on 2019 we look forward to an exciting and future focussed year for Amateur Radio in Australia.   Over the coming  months we expect:

A new qualification system to be implemented and regardless of who  the ACMA selects this promises to positively change the landscape of  Amateur Radio in Australia. 

We will begin delivering a number of new services of value to both  Amateur Radio and the wider community. The IT Team will be bringing  online a range of upgraded information technology systems. Several  new teams will be introducing themselves to the amateur community.

But first up for 2019, we are happy to announce a change which,  frankly, has been a long time coming.

Many of you belong to clubs and associations which provide  discounted or free membership for a period of time after an operator  has passed their foundation course to encourage the new operator to  be part of the community.

At a recent meeting the WIA board voted to provide a level of  complimentary WIA membership to all operators who receive new  qualifications.  During discussion on this matter the issue of  "fairness" to those who have recently completed qualifications was  robustly discussed with a further decision being taken to begin this  program from the first of January, 2018.

So what does this all mean I hear you ask.

If you receive an AOCP (Foundation, Standard or Advanced) at any time  since the first of January, 2018 and are not a member of the WIA you  are eligible for a complimentary 1 year WIA membership.   

If you are already a WIA member (now, or when you receive your  qualification in the future) you are eligible to receive a 1 year  membership extension or a $100 discount off a 5 year membership. 

If this is you, or someone you know all that is needed is a  completed WIA membership form and a copy of the relevant AOCP  qualification showing the date of qualification being later than the  1 January 2018 email it to support@wia.org.au

I hope everyone has a fantastic 2019, until next time, that's all
 from me, VK4APM.

Note : 1st Jan 2018, not 2019

From WIA News for 12 Jan 2019
Good move.

(and extra text to make up the 30 character post requirement)
In december 2018  renewed for 5 years at age pension concession rate...

So now it means i got 6 years for the cost of 5 years at the cheaper rate

Excellent deal

Local discussion in Perth reckons that this offer is only available to ham who have qualified for a AOCP since jan 1 2018...[ not me]

So I miss out

What do you reckon
My impression is that the context of the two paras below need to be read in conjunction with each other.

In other words, if someone is already a WIA member, and after 1 January 2018 they sit and qualify for an AOCP (FL, Standard or Advanced), then they qualify for the 1 year membership extension or $100 discount off a 5 year membership.

So if you are already a member and already hold an AOCP, you don't qualify.

I think ... 

Quote: If you receive an AOCP (Foundation, Standard or Advanced) at any time  since the first of January, 2018 and are not a member of the WIA you  are eligible for a complimentary 1 year WIA membership.   

If you are already a WIA member (now, or when you receive your  qualification in the future) you are eligible to receive a 1 year  membership extension or a $100 discount off a 5 year membership.