Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: A place to buy aluminum. Sydney
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

VK2AOH

Have a few projects at hand such as a solar panel array frame and to build up a couple of chassis, meter boxes etc.

So far most of the aluminum places I have visited only sell impossibly large sheets or long lengths of angle. Remember many years ago in Parramatta there was a alu supplier that had bins and shelves of offcuts of all guages/sizes which meant it was possible to pick out the bits needed.

Of course this business has long gone so wondering if there is similar sort of supplier preferably in Western Sydney which would be easy for me to get to.

VK3YCQ

G'day,

It seems that many aluminium suppliers will cut the large sheets into smaller pieces for a small fee. All you need to do is give them very clear written instructions about what sizes you want. Be aware, however, that the precision with which they cut the sheet aluminium may not be up to standard. My local supplier totally botched a job... Next time I will go to a precision cutter. The aluminium supplier can cut the sheet in half so I can transport it, but for anything smaller I'll take it to a laser cutting place.

73s

Ian

VK2HRX

Ullrich in Smithfield

Compton adding more works because the post apparently needs more words to get posted

VK2AOH

Thanks Compton, have you been there ? Do they have a selection of offcuts of different guages and the like that you browse and have a look at ?

There is an Ulrich in Bathurst, rather limited range and only interested in selling large sheets. No means of having a look about and seeing things.

The impression gained they were not interested in the DIY hobby market.

One of the sad side effects of the decline of manufacturing in Australia when one could go to a workshop and have a look at what was in the bins.

VK2HRX

Yes been there. Not much in the way of offcuts but they have a large range and you can drive the Rover in to pick it up. EDCON steel have offcuts including Al but smaller range than Ullrich. They are in a variety of locations around Sydney. I go to the one in Kings Park.

Happy hunting!

VK2AOH

Again my thanks and have noticed there are a few alu suppliers around the western suburbs so one sunny day might go and do a tour starting with Ullrich.

If I come across a good place will put some info up here on the site for the benefit of others. Always someone wanting to build a yagi or whatever.

Cheers, Nick