Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: VK4RTT beacon info wanted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I suspect that the VK4RTT beacon, 144.440, is operating from Redcliffe clubrooms rather than its normal location in the Bunya Mts.  That's fine.  What I would like to know is what RF power it is currently operating at and the antenna type in use.

I can just hear it from the home QTH (about 60kms) on an 11el horizontal yagi but it is really quite weak - hence the question.  

Anybody have up-to-date info ??

Thanks
Doug

PS I have already seen the VKLogger beacon data but I suspect that the antenna there refers to the Mt Mowbullan configuration.
make that two of us who would like to know, had no idea the old beacon on the hill had gone of the air... now I know why it has not been heard via M/S pings recently

Peter vk5pj
Peter

Some info came to light by a direct email earlier this month...

"There has been an equipment failure during the testing of the new 2M beacon transmitter at Redcliffe (which should be fixed in a couple of weeks or so). There were some out-of-band spurii that had developed in the Mt Mowbullan transmitter and that equipment was taken out of service.

The plan is to eventually locate the higher-powered GPS-locked equipment (plus the 50.285 MHz transmitter) at a yet-to be established location which, at the present time, is expected to be on Mt Mowbullan somewhere (not necessarily exactly where the old transmitter has been).  A wild card possibility (completely uncertain at the present time) is that VK4RTT may end up being somewhere completely different."

The signal I am hearing on 144.440 is either the feed-through power of the dead PA or is the driver stage direct into the antenna however the true state is not known. Either way, you are unlikely to hear MS pings off it.

I am hearing the 50.285 beacon here also, not super strongly, and I am told that means that there is power applied to the "beacon box".

Details of the antennas presently connected to the two beacons has not been disclosed.

Doug VK4ADC
I'm hearing VK4RTT here on 6m, sounds like CW followed by JT65.
Clashing fairly bad with the VK4RSC beacon on a similar freq.

VK4OE

G'dday Leigh!

The VK4RTT equipment is on an extended 'soak test' from a location on the North side of Brisbane, using both licensed output frequencies. That inspires continuing thanks from the Brisbane VHF Group to the Redcliffe and District AR Club! The plan is to re-establish it all back at Mt Mowbullan, hopefully sometime in 2019.

The 'RTT six metre allocated frequency of 50.285 MHz is also the one for which it is licensed and, as you report, it alternates between 'CW' identification and a 'JT' mode, a minute about. Its frequency is GPS locked.

Yes, there is some interference on six metres from the VK4RSC transmission emanating from the Sunshine Coast, 70-odd Km to the North of Brisbane. This transmission moves around in frequency a bit due to it using merely a 'free-running' crystal oscillator. By the way, if you look up the ACMA details for VK4RSC, you'll see only a six metre repeater and no details for 50.284 MHz....a somewhat strange situation....

I trust that these descriptions are helpful.

Cheers and 73,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE, Brisbane VHF Group Inc.