Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Yaesu G5500 Controller Replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Morning all,

After a recent re-shuffling of the radio bench I've noticed that the Yaesu G5500 rotator controller causes interference on 2m when the controller is close to the radio/coax cables - about two S points!

If I put the controller on the opposite side of the bench the interference reduces significantly, but my arms aren't long enough to operate the radio and rotator controller at the same time Sad

I was thinking about replacing all the caps in the controller and installing ferrites to reduce/stop the interference, but a better option would be to replace the controller (and Foxdelta ST3 interface) all together with something new and sparkly.

I know of a VK5 and VK3 (TrueNorth) controller, but are there any others around?  Ideally something to totally replace the G5500 controller (AZ and EL) and the Fox Delta ST3 computer interface.

Cheers

Jayson
VK1JA
I highly recommend the Green Heron Engineering products, they also interface into PC.

https://www.greenheronengineering.com/pr...=RT-21azel
Jayson

The Yaesu rotator controllers I have seen have been purely analogue inside so unlikely to be a source of QRM, but you also mentioned a "Fox Delta ST3 computer interface" which will contain at least a microprocessor and it is likely to be the actual source of your problems.

Serial comms connections to any computer also typically contribute some noise in the receiver, USB connections are even worse - and it doesn't matter what device the USB lead is connected to. Many USB leads have minimal shielding so radiate as soon as they are active.

It might pay to just try the rotator stand-alone, and then with the ST3 connected, and try to define where/which device is actually generating the noise.  Adding some shielding or ferrites just to the offending device may solve the noise completely. (just remember that aluminium foil from the kitchen makes a great, flexible, temporary shielding material)

Worth a few minutes experimentation 'cos that's what we do - experiment.

Doug
Thanks for the replies, Leigh and Doug.

Hmm, that's one thing that totally slipped my mind, that the noise could be coming from the COM port.  I've got a handful of ferrites here so when I have time I'll do some experimenting.

Thanks