Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: 2017/2018 Summer DX Season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

VK2XQ

The just passed summer DX season was one of the worst I have experienced on 50MHz, only real DX I heard was the E51USA beacon in the Cook Islands plus some very weak South Americans working into VK4 on two occasions.

Even the interstate summer paths were limited, heard/worked VK6 three times and heard VK8 (Darwin) twice.

Usually the VK8RAS Alice Springs beacon comes in for hours during past summers, seldom heard this time around, likewise the Atherton and Townsville beacons, both down in signal strength and very short paths.  Last summer on a few occasions I had the Atherton beacon in and out for hours, not so this time.

Not a single path to Asia this way, didn't even hear the 49.750MHz Asian TV at all, a sure sign indicator of F2 lacking.

Plenty of ZL openings plus the FK8SIX beacon, however, compared to last 2016/2017 season the FK8 path was lacking and short openings if any.

Jack VK2XQ QF56dm
50MHz was great here in VK7 this past summer.

Worked every call area, VK6 several times and Philippines. 3D2 and FK1 were also worked several times.
With the use of WSPR at a propogation beacon, openings can be seen in advance in some instances well before CW or SSB is possible.

It helps being advised in advance rather than being in the "right place right time" scenario.
I'd have to agree with Hayden that on 6m WSPR it was busy every day usually starting early morning from somewhere. On numerous days the MUF reached over 100 MHz. On some days it reached over 162 MHz.

A number of stations were able to work into parts of South America on at least 6 occassions on FT8 and I think some made it on SSB and CW, but that would need confirmation maybe from someone like Scott VK4CZ or Brian VK5BC.

There were a couple of paths to California that were detected to California earlier in the season before the solstice.

Was very hectic there for a while, was good fun.
(21-03-2018, 05:14 AM)VK2KRR Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have to agree with Hayden that on 6m WSPR it was busy every day usually starting early morning from somewhere. On numerous days the MUF reached over 100 MHz. On some days it reached over 162 MHz.

A number of stations were able to work into parts of South America on at least 6 occassions on FT8 and I think some made it on SSB and CW, but that would need confirmation maybe from someone like Scott VK4CZ or Brian VK5BC.

There were a couple of paths to California that were detected to California earlier in the season before the solstice.

The season was mixed up here in Townsville. There were 6m openings to all VK and ZL but they were usually very brief. I did not hear anything from the Americas. Highlight was working H44 which was a new country for me. Some southern stations were complaining that the Townsville 6m beacon VK4RTL was being heard but no stations were contacted. The beacon is on Mt Stuart at an elevation of 584m whereas most stations are located on the flat ground.

For me, 2m was disappointing with no sporadic E openings to the south.  FK8 commercial FM stations were heard several times but no 2m contacts eventuated. Sad

Wayne VK4WDM
Hi Wayne,

I worked Lloyd VK4FP on 2m WSPR then we went to voice on 2m SSB sporadic E. Here is a video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoHFlrVNPKE

TTT Townsville 103.9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUh_JRPClo0

4TO Townsville 102.3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-osR3fOeFXA

Here is a map of 162 MHz+ E MUF  from marine tracking to here.
[attachment=138]

We were on the KST Chat page for 144 MHz region 3 by the way.
http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php

VK2XQ

Good you worked the H44 on 50MHz there Wayne, heard him twice and very weak at that, also heard Antoine 3D2AG two or three times a 539 at very best on CW. Very few of the FK8 gang around, only heard one.

OK Leigh and Hayden on the digital modes on 50MHz, sorry lads, they don't interest me. The path 2017/2018 summer season seemed to favour the south, plenty of VK3, VK5 and VK7 plus ZL. Accessed quite a few VK7 and the the two VK5 53MHz FM repeaters and worked a few of the regulars.

Interesting that the southern people in VK3 and VK7 worked into the Philippines, that path totally skipped over me, not a thing heard of the DU this way. Wasn't concerned as not a ATNO for me, I tend to concentrate on ATNO's.

Unlike last summer zero noted from Guam or Hawaii which are usually regulars in the summer season.

Jack VK2XQ QF56dm.
(22-03-2018, 09:50 AM)VK2XQ Wrote: [ -> ]Good you worked the H44 on 50MHz there Wayne, heard him twice and very weak at that, also heard Antoine 3D2AG two or three times a 539 at very best on CW.  Very few of the FK8 gang around, only heard one.

OK Leigh and Hayden on the digital modes on 50MHz, sorry lads, they don't interest me.  The path 2017/2018 summer season seemed to favour the south, plenty of VK3, VK5 and VK7 plus ZL.  Accessed quite a few VK7 and the the two VK5 53MHz FM repeaters and worked a few of the regulars.  

Interesting that the southern people in VK3 and VK7 worked into the Philippines, that path totally skipped over me, not a thing heard of the DU this way.  Wasn't concerned as not a ATNO for me, I tend to concentrate on ATNO's.

Unlike last summer zero noted from Guam or Hawaii which are usually regulars in the summer season.  

Jack VK2XQ QF56dm.
"digital modes on 50MHz, sorry lads, they don't interest me"

Jack, this is 2018 not 1918.  The sound of ham radio is no longer di dah its diddly, diddly diddly!   Tongue Big Grin

(21-03-2018, 04:20 PM)VK4WDM Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-03-2018, 05:14 AM)VK2KRR Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have to agree with Hayden that on 6m WSPR it was busy every day usually starting early morning from somewhere. On numerous days the MUF reached over 100 MHz. On some days it reached over 162 MHz.

The season was mixed up here in Townsville. There were 6m openings to all VK and ZL but they were usually very brief. I did not hear anything from the Americas. Highlight was working H44 which was a new country for me. Some southern stations were complaining that the Townsville 6m beacon VK4RTL was being heard but no stations were contacted. The beacon is on Mt Stuart at an elevation of 584m whereas most stations are located on the flat ground.

For me, 2m was disappointing with no sporadic E openings to the south.  FK8 commercial FM stations were heard several times but no 2m contacts eventuated. Sad

Wayne VK4WDM
I am glad that you and Lloyd made it on 2m.  This shows the important of digital modes as indicators of open paths especially if the opening is brief.

The use of JT65 on 6m is certainly showing what is possible when weak-signal modes are used. I often ponder on what my DXCC entity count would be if JT65 was available during 1999-2002.

Wayne VK4WDM