Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Icom and Electronics Australia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=132]
Greetings

I am on the lookout for a copy of the instruction manual for an Icom GC-4 world clock. This clock is a from a good friend who is now a SK, so it is a sentimental request.

Also after information / circuits from the EA VHF Powermatch Mk2 series of articles.  These articles appeared in mid/late 1990.  It consisted of a meter unit and accessory plugin units such as power head, voltage probe, reflectometer and I think one other plugin.  This is a retro nostalgic project I started 'back in the day', and now have the urge to finish it.  I know there is more modern sophisticated test gear around but, I like old things. Smile

Any assistance with either of the above requests would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron
VK4BVI
(25-02-2018, 07:40 PM)VK4BVI Wrote: [ -> ]Greetings

I am on the lookout for a copy of the instruction manual for an Icom GC-4 world clock. This clock is a from a good friend who is now a SK, so it is a sentimental request.

Also after information / circuits from the EA VHF Powermatch Mk2 series of articles.  These articles appeared in mid/late 1990.  It consisted of a meter unit and accessory plugin units such as power head, voltage probe, reflectometer and I think one other plugin.  This is a retro nostalgic project I started 'back in the day', and now have the urge to finish it.  I know there is more modern sophisticated test gear around but, I like old things. Smile

Any assistance with either of the above requests would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron
VK4BVI

Ron

The GC-4 was early-mid-80s so preceded PDFs but you will need for someone to do a major dig through their archives to locate a copy. An email or phone call to Icom Australia might be an alternative - they were around back then.

I didn't buy magazines back in those times so can't help with Powermatch articles but you may be able to buy them from Silicon Chip magazine.

Showing your age Ron.....

Doug
I used to sell pcb's for the Powermatch project back in the day.

EA July, September and December 1990, I should have the articles around here somewhere.
Terry

Thank you, email sent.

And Doug, I am showing my age, I rode my bike to school 'back in the day'. Smile 

Icom are no help when it comes to 'old stuff', to quote part of their email "we could not find any instruction manual for GC-4 due to age".  Not even an archive copy.  That's customer relations.

So it's not just me, it's my clock as well!!!!!

Thanks to all.

Cheers

Ron
VK4BVI
(27-02-2018, 04:29 PM)VK4BVI Wrote: [ -> ]Icom are no help when it comes to 'old stuff', to quote part of their email "we could not find any instruction manual for GC-4 due to age".  Not even an archive copy.  That's customer relations.

Icom Japan or USA ???
Quote:Icom Japan or USA ???

Some years back when I was after something similar I got no assistance locally.

I then wrote to Japan (got no response), the U.S. (responded quickly, but they didn't have what I was after) and the U.K., who had what I wanted and went out of their way for me; great to deal with.

VK3QI

(28-02-2018, 07:36 AM)VK3RX Wrote: [ -> ]

I then wrote to Japan (got no response), the U.S. (responded quickly, but they didn't have what I was after) and the U.K., who had what I wanted and went out of their way for me; great to deal with.

www.mods.dk  have the GC-5 clock manual - maybe similar enough to give you the answer?

Cheers

Peter  VK3QI
Thank you to Doug, Peter and Damian for your replies regarding the clock.  I did receive a reply from a VK2 who is going to have a look in his filing system, but nothing just yet.

Unfortunately the GC-5 is very different to the GC-4, in that I have only push buttons, not adjustment knobs.

I will give Icom UK a try, nothing to lose.

And to VK5TM, thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Ron
VK4BVI

VK3QI

(28-02-2018, 04:14 PM) pid=\1932' Wrote:Thank you to Doug, Peter and Damian for your replies regarding the clock.  I did receive a reply from a VK2 who is going to have a look in his filing system, but nothing just yet.

Unfortunately the GC-5 is very different to the GC-4, in that I have only push buttons, not adjustment knobs.

I will give Icom UK a try, nothing to lose.

And to VK5TM, thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Ron
VK4BVI
Ron,

A search of the web reveals that the clock was also marketed under the name    Union Elecs Corp   GCD-4 .

If you do a google search on that you will find a number of Ebay sellers of same.

Maybe a message to one of the sellers requesting a pdf copy of the manual might be possible.

see:  Ebay   112807180320   and   152522991255

Cheers

Peter  VK3QI
It was also sold under the Comus brand.
Thanks all for your replies.

Icom AU, JP, USA and UK, all no go.

Peter, I don't have an eBay account, so contacting the sellers is difficult without an account, unless there is another way I don't know about.

Damien, never heard of Comus, but will do some more research.

I did find a Swiss amateur who is/was selling one on his personal website, have sent an email, waiting to hear back.

As always, thank you all.

Cheers

Ron
VK4BVI
If you track something down, let us know.

It can be loaded to the mods.dk stie.
[attachment=133]Further, after some research.

Some versions sold under different brands had buttons on the base, some didn't. I've been sent a pix of the base of the version with buttons that includes some basic info.

Hope this helps.

Damien VK3RX
Thanks Damien.

Mine is the version with no buttons under the base. Confused

I have however, got enough information off your photo to make it work.  Correct date and time for Brisbane, and it seems for the rest of the world.

Happy days.

Cheers

Ron
VK4BVI
Good to hear you've sussed it out. The one heading my way sounds like it is the same version as yours.

You probably came across this on youtube. It would be interesting to find out the electronics Wink

VK2LOZ

(28-02-2018, 11:37 AM)VK3QI I worked for Icom UK back in the 80`s when they were in sea street herne bay ct6  We would go out of our way to help anyone ,, we had boxes of old stock out the back we would give it away , when we moved they dumped the lot that was in 88 ,, were were not happy ,, I moved back to Australia in 1990 and purchased Yaesu from then on in protest ..I know this is an old post ,, Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-02-2018, 07:36 AM)VK3RX Wrote: [ -> ]

www.mods.dk  have the GC-5 clock manual - maybe similar enough to give you the answer?

Cheers

Peter  VK3QI