Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Headphones for general DX use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
I noticed another similar thread, but I have different requirements so posting this one.

I need a pair of headphones in the shack to listen to the DX on 6 and 2m. Currently the speaker doesn't cut it and I strain my ears listening especially with noises from a nearby road and dogs barking, wind etc.

I don't want anything to break the budget either, so can anyone recommend a good cheap pair of headphones. Don't need a microphone, the one on the radio is good enough for me.

I was looking at something simple such as this - 
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Philips-Over-...51f30faff8

I guess 100% noise cancelling is not good, as I'll have to remove them everytime I want to talk.

Any thoughts or reviews?
Can't comment on those specifically, but you can get a comparable set $13 cheaper from Altronics, catalogue code C9004.
I see Jaycar also have some...

I guess hard to tell what they are like.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/over-ear-stere...s/p/AA2133
I think comfort is the most important part of choosing a set of 'phones.

Say you needed to wear them for 8 hours in a contest. Heating of the ears is a big problem for some people and you may need your cans to breath a little. Also, not all ears are the same. A set that completely covers your ears might be fine for you but my lugs just won't fit inside them comfortably. I find the older Kenwood/Yaesu 1970's style big cans type are quite comfortable to wear for extended periods. The Altronics Dave Clark look alikes are expensive but are comfortable for me.

If you are not comfortable then not even the most expensive 'phones in the world will be any good for you.

I find it hard to justify in my mind the several hundred dollar asking price for some ham radio headsets so I've been on the lookout for some cheap gaming headsets as I think gamers spent many hours stuck to their keyboards just like hams and their rigs. Smile

One other thing to look for is the length and quality of the lead. The cables on some 'phones conduct vibrations into the cans and tapping the lead with a pencil can be heard quite distinctly by the wearer. You might say "who cares", but I find it disturbing when listening for tiny signals.

The other thing is cable length. My shack chair is on wheels and I tend to move around a lot. A 1.5m cable may sound like it's long enough but I find myself getting snagged at times. Some gamer style headsets have long > 2m leads made of really flexible material that are covered with a woven cloth outer sheath. Stretchy curly cords are another good thing.

Who would have thought there could be so many considerations for something so simple?

VK2WP

Kenwood HS-5 8 ohm would be a good choice for ham radio. The frequency response is tailored to radio usage unlike the "HiFi" ones which have a broad frequency response.

A good long cord with a durable sheathing as well.

Bought mine from DX Engineering in the States, quick delievery.
You will be surprised at the quality of gamer headsets - My boys are keen gamers and I have picked up some of the rejects and been very surprised how good they are for radio - One of my favourites for CW was a wrap around the back of the neck style without any ear covers(cloth padding) and it has been very good for extended periods. Even a search of ebay will not break the budget - The Koss SB45 has been a favourite for many years - bought mine at Joyce Mayne on sale but plenty on ebay
I thought I would have a look at the Koss SB45 'stereophones'. Amazon US was one of the first entries that popped up in the search list.
$24.36 + $10.83 shipping to Oz.

I then merely added the .au to get the Amazon Australia price:
$107.91 + $7.50 shipping.

Nah, there's no such thing as an Australia tax.