Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Re: VK4RBB - Brisbane beacons back on air
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

VK4OE

Greetings to all readers!

I am happy to announce that, following a period of testing, the VK4RBB beacon suite is now 'on air' on all of its licensed frequencies from a new location on a hill at Edens Landing, QG62NH90, and that the ACMA licence now correctly shows this.

Output frequencies, transmitter powers and antenna types are as follows:
432.44 MHz 10 Watts to crossed dipoles;
1296.44 MHz 10 Watts to Alford Slot;
2403.44 MHz 3 Watts to slotted waveguide;
3398.44 MHz 4 Watts to slotted waveguide;
5760.44 MHz 5 Watts to slotted waveguide;
10368.44 MHz 1 Watt to slotted waveguide; and
24048.44 MHz 1 Watt to slotted waveguide.

Of course, feedline losses will need to be taken into account on frequencies lower than 10 GHz, but the 10 GHz and 24 GHz transmitters are located in a M/H box with essentially no feedline losses on the way to their respective antennas.

Many reception reports ('spots') have already been posted on the VK-Logger, particularly for the lower three frequencies, and the Brisbane VHF Group remains interested in all reports.

The Brisbane VHF Group is most thankful to Rob VK4ZDX for hosting our equipment in his shack and on his tower!

In a similar way that other beacon operators are 'feeling' the cost of electricity for powering 24/7 transmissions,financial contributions to the Group for running this beacon set will be greatly appreciated - we don't expect Rob to foot the bill!

Cheers and 73,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.
Great job Doug and the Brisbane VHF Group. Big Grin

Also thanks to Rob VK4ZDX for his community-minded assistance. Smile

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH

VK4OE

Thanks for your encouraging words, Roger!

One significant point relevant to all readers that I neglected to add to my earlier posting is that there VK4RBB uses two modulation modes which alternate 'one minute about'. The first minute is plain carrier plus Morse identification using on-off keying, and the second is either JT4D on 432 MHz, or JT4F on all the higher bands.

Cheers and 73,

--Doug, VK4OE.