Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Bose QC35 Headphones for HAM use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Morning all,

Last year, my beautiful wife bought me a pair of Bose QC35 noise cancelling headphones.  To say they sound good and are comfortable is an understatement.  Wearing them on a long haul flight for 12 hours is no problems at all.

The QC35's are wireless headphones (Bluetooth) and have a microphone inbuild which allows you to take/make calls once the headphones are paired to your mobile phone.

Now to to integrate them into the radio shack Smile

The workbench is on the other side of the room to where the radio bench will be, so I'd like to be able to have the headphones on listening for weak signals on, say 50.110/144.100, while working on projects on the workbench.

Has anyone made a bluetooth sender/receiver for their radio?  Ultimately I'd like to be able to answer CQ calls from the workbench so will have VOX enabled etc.

Of course the tx side of things will depend on the audio quality of the microphone in the QC35's!

Cheers

Jayson
Hi Jayson,

Yep it's been done a number of times. The EMDRC had a project for such a thing and there are plenty of other videos about it.

Google is your friend.
Hi Lou,

Thanks for the link, it looks like EMDRC never actually sold them as kits due to the price to get the Wirefree chips in (about $100 for the chip!).

There was a $30ish module available called Jabra A210 which could easily do the job, but it seems that it's gone out of production because almost every device these days has bluetooth built in.

There are plenty of modules around that are a bluetooth receiver OR transmitter, but finding one that is full duplex is proving a bit hard - the search continues...
There are commercial versions available for the likes of Icom, Yaesu and some of the cheap Chinese gear, but you're going to being paying for the convenience.

Other options:-

Some motorcycle comms still use Bluetooth, again, pricey

Handsfree Bluetooth car adapter kits, in the $10 - $20 range on the usual sites.

All will of course need hacking to interface to your rig.
(29-01-2018, 02:06 PM)VK5TM Wrote: [ -> ]<snip>

All will of course need hacking to interface to your rig.

Is that not the point of the whole hobby?

Tongue Big Grin Cool
Definitely.

Didn't quite come across properly as written, but the intent was "have fun pulling it apart to interface it".

Guess a smiley might have made it a bit more obvious (not quite up on all this smiley stuff).