Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: VK5RBV to QRT end of Nov 2017
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
 due to mounting pressure from the FT8 digital users in VK and ZL, the CW propagation beacon VK5RBV on 50.315 will stop operation before the end of November.  It has been in service for over 10 years and not missed a beat during that time. (converted FM828E to a single halo)

If your looking for a propagation indicator from VK5 you can look at 50.320 for a signal.

The future of VK5RBV is not decided but it may come back on a new frequency (50.456?) and mode in the coming years, the paper work alone could take months to see happen as the beacon band plan would need to be re-jigged for such a change to occur.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
I think thats a bit rude, why is FT8 on 50.313? Isn't 50.225 for terrestrial type digital mode contacts?
VK5RBV went QRT at 06:13 today (29th of November 2017).
Well, that's a shame, Pete Sad

It's always nice to see the beacon appear on the waterfall.  At least you can see the path is open to VK5 Smile

Is it affecting FT8 users that much?

VK5ZD

The beacon's been there for 10+ years.
FT8 has been around for barely 10 months.
I know who I'd be telling to move.
Shame.
Sadly, the default 6m frequency for FT8 in WSJT is 50.313 and there is no doubt folks will be spreading upwards from there. Good luck getting the whole world to move. It is indeed a shame.
(30-11-2017, 06:20 AM)VK3ALB Wrote: [ -> ]Sadly, the default 6m frequency for FT8 in WSJT is 50.313 and there is no doubt folks will be spreading upwards from there. Good luck getting the whole world to move. It is indeed a shame.

That's the thing when the default frequency is posted worldwide.

If FT8 users kept their offsets below 1500Hz, it shouldn't be a problem really.

I vote turn it back on, Pete Smile
I definitely still use it and 5VF on 320. Maybe an allocation on 50.325MHz (Reserved Future beacons according to Wia bandplan).
Please switch it back on!
I rarely hear the VK5VF beacon and rely heavily on VK5RBV.

How sad to loose such a valuable 6m propagation beacon.
The VK5RBV beacon will not be turned back on until the new band plan is sorted out with the WIA.

Peter

VK2TS

(14-12-2017, 09:59 AM)VK5PW Wrote: [ -> ]The VK5RBV beacon will not be turned back on until the new band plan is sorted out with the WIA.

Peter

Contact the ACMA and apply to move it up 2kc and it wont be a problem, the default FT8 and JT9 frequency is 50.313, JT9 is 50.312, JT9, JT65 QRA64 is 50.310. Voila! problem fixed. That beacon was always the first heard during an opening, surely a 2KC move is the easiest and quickest way?

Cheers

Tony
VK2TS

VK5AW

(29-11-2017, 01:05 PM)When I lived in Adelaide, VK5VF was always a familiar sound to confirm all was well with my 6m gear. This was way before RBV was activated. Since moving to my current QTH, 200k east,  I rarely hear 5VF, but I was delighted to always have RBV as a confirmation. 6M will revert to being a quiet band for me again. BTW, this was my first season using FT8 on 6, and it was great to get some log entries. I cant believe that I was unaware of the clash! But this is sad news. Thanks for the service anyway....Adrian. Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
 due to mounting pressure from the FT8 digital users in VK and ZL, the CW propagation beacon VK5RBV on 50.315 will stop operation before the end of November.  It has been in service for over 10 years and not missed a beat during that time. (converted FM828E to a single halo)

If your looking for a propagation indicator from VK5 you can look at 50.320 for a signal.

The future of VK5RBV is not decided but it may come back on a new frequency (50.456?) and mode in the coming years, the paper work alone could take months to see happen as the beacon band plan would need to be re-jigged for such a change to occur.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
Hi,
There is a QRP beacon on 50.456 running CW and JT65A, this is the replacement for the 50.315 beacon we took off the air when the FT8 digital mode exploded. It will get a P.A later in July/ August (ACMA willing) and be back to being 15W, same HALO antenna as before.

We have submitted the required change of license forms to reflect the new frequency and are waiting for the allocation to be 100% confirmed before the power is raised.

Reports are most welcome to: vk8zlx @ gmail dot com

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
(02-07-2018, 06:56 PM)VK5PJ Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
There is a QRP beacon on 50.456 running CW and JT65A, this is the replacement for the 50.315 beacon we took off the air when the FT8 digital mode exploded.  It will get a P.A later in July/ August (ACMA willing) and be back to being 15W, same HALO antenna as before.

We have submitted the required change of license forms to reflect the new frequency and are waiting for the allocation to be 100% confirmed before the power is raised.

Reports are most welcome to: vk8zlx @ gmail dot com

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj

Great to hear and well done Pete!