Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Inland Tropo Alerts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It would appear that there could be a chance of VK5 to SE VK4 tropo path on Thursday morning, 6th Oct. Might pay to keep an eye on this.

[attachment=13]

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_aus.html">http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_aus.html</a><!-- m -->
Unfortunately, geological activity that occurred many millions of years ago will more than likely prevent anyone east of the Great Dividing Range in SE VK4 participating. :roll:

So is there anyone west of the Great Dividing Range on the Darling Downs active on VHF and above and able to participate?
Thats sad news for some Scott. But the good news is, that signals do get through from some areas east of the ranges in VK4.

Remember that on the 13th May 2016, Peter VK5PJ & Phil VK5AKK both worked VK4OX on 2m and on 70cm with Peter. The 70cm contact was the first time EVER that anyone has worked into VK4 from VK5 on 70cm. So we are creating history here.
There is reception of the VK4RTT beacon on 2m.
There has also been a path on 2m WSPR from VK5PJ to another VK4 in the SE area closer to Brisbane, but I cant remember the callsign, Peter might read this and let us know.

No offence to VK4 stations, but, MOST times, VK4 stations are not available or on air at the right times for this path. An inland path like this has different characteristics to your usual VK4 ocean skirting paths. Hence why running WSPR from multiple locations can provide invaluable data to analyse whats happening and when.

Here is Peter VK5PJ's reception of VK4RTT 2m beacon on 13th May 2016 - Notes from the video -
"Peter VK5PJ establishes rare tropospheric duct path across 1471 km with VK4RTT beacon on 2M band. Morning of 13th May 2016.
Prior to discovering this Peter had extremely strong path with Wayne VK2XN on 2m WSPR.
Peter VK5PJ went on to work Adrian VK4OX on 2 and on 70cm. VK5 to VK4 on 70cm having never been done before ever".
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh78jlrkvFY">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh78jlrkvFY</a><!-- m -->
Hi Leigh,
The station at the other end was Eddie, vk4edd who I believe is now in the Broken Hill region, not heard any news about his operations from there or what his new call might be.

The old topic on VKLOGGER is: http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8034

Regards,
Peter
Thanks Peter, VK4EDD same grid square as what VK4CZ is located in actually Smile although Scott may be on the wrong side of a hill there.
I'd say that the weather changed, as it does, and it looks like the best time may have been earlier this morning 5th Oct for this one, going by updated Hepburn Charts.
Thanks Leigh,
what I have noticed and observations by others, is that the weather systems needs to be quite stable for longer periods to make the inland paths sing. While a High can look promising, it seems to need to be in the region of 1030 milli bars (thanks to 2EMA for pointing out that one) for things to kick into gear and also spend some time "hovering" over a land region of interest.

Some of the early and mid winter weather patterns seem to create these stable system that last a few days like this. I have done a wander back through the met charts to look at the periods when Phil, 5AKK reported receiving 4RTL and a similar stalled high of around 1030 millibars was present.

The Hepburn charts get tricked into showing possible lift when they see it form up for only a short time but I feel the speed of the weather systems does not let the needed conditions settle into place, any way, food for thought Big Grin would be nice to see what Andrew, VK3OE has found with his more scientific investigations.

Regards
Peter.
Leigh,

VK4EDD, when he was in SE VK4 (now in Broken Hill), was on the eastern side of the Great Dividing Range along with everyone in QG61, 62 or 63... for the best chance you need to find active stations located in QG51, 52 or 53.

Adrian VK4OX, whilst also on the eastern side of the range, has altitude advantage to most other stations (his altitude is 5X higher than my ASL for example), and at times will 'sneak' into the mix.

Availability is also key as you alluded. And unfortunately, the majority of active SE VK4 VHF DXers are still actively working... so timing of events outside of working hours is always going to be an issue [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
GD all,
I am on the western side, with a good takeoff to VK5, also I am retired and in the shack most days.......

Cheers

Phil VK4CDI
There is a slim chance that the first of the winter time inland tropo paths from VK5 (and parts of VK2/VK3) to SE VK4, early Saturday morning and then also Saturday night.

[attachment=75]
Possible, Inland tropo path coming up vk5, 3, 2, 4

[attachment=76]
Bit common at the moment due to the stalled weather systems, but keep a look out tonight for VK4 to southern areas, and and also VK2XN looking south.
Inland tropo between VK5 and VK1,2 & 4 has been available in the last few day with a big high of 1030 sitting over eastern Australia with little movement. The morning of the 21st May the vk4rtt beacon was up to 559 for several hours at my qth and I should and could have worked Colin VK4MIL, I could hear his QRA64-D tones but by the time I worked out how to use that mode he had to go to work, Colin reported me at -18 and I did decode him at -26 but unfortunately never completed. Vk4RF also decoded my wspr signal. Later that morning I completed with Wayne VK2XN using QRA64-D. Same morning I think Peter VK5PJ completed with all of these stations. Path to these station around 1500kms and the best inland tropo I have experienced.

The band has also been good to VK2 with wspr signals from VK2IJM and VK2DVM in Sydney being decoded and worked from VK5. Also Rob VK1KW has been worked several times in last few day both with digital & SSB from VK5. As usual Leigh VK2KRR has been workable all week.

It just shows you should keep an eye on the weather charts and Hepburn as there can bee good openings in the winter.

73's Brian
VK5BC
Possible tropo between VK5 and VK4 tonight and in morning.
See Hepburn charts http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_aus_old.html

Need VK4 stations on 2m WSPR and central and northern VK2.
Possible VK5 to VK4 this morning for those in the right locations and good gear and maybe running WSPR if needed.

[attachment=314]
Slim chance of VK5 to VK4 tropo tonight/morning.

[attachment=317]
Might be able to get a bit more tropo activity inland at the end of this week.
Keep an eye on it just in case it changes

[Image: aus108.jpg]
Well... its that time of year when we will see inland tropo between VK5 (and close by areas) to SE VK4 and coastal and ranges VK2.

And here we go this morning with a slim chance, but keep monitoring over the next day or so. WSPR your best bet of course.

[attachment=388]
Nice results on Sunday evening 2m WSPR out to over 1100 km Sydney area to VK5.

[attachment=389]