Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: FORUM CHANGE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Ozlogger Forum is now operating on a different forum package - which means that it looks different - but mostly operates in the same way.

All message and user content has been transferred although some errors may have been incurred in the process. Please advise of anything you feel is in error so it can be cross-checked.

ADMIN
Nice.

I quite like the theme of this new layout.
Yeah, I like it too.

Crisp and easy to read.
Thanks for the couple of positive comments so far. This forum package change has been a long time in coming - like 6 months - and it all came together to be launched yesterday.

There are still things to find fixes for... like some of the markups in signatures not being parsed correctly etc..  The post-edit also comes up with absolutely gigantic text (when someone edits their previous post but still within a short time frame) and it should come up in 14 point.

The main thing is that the previous user info and content is across, attachments too though that was all done manually with copying and renaming image files and took a while...

As time permits, I will have to go back into some of the System Notice posts and edit or delete to remove irrelevant entries.

Admin
There used to be an "unread posts" option

http://www.ozlogger.net/forum/search.php...nreadposts

Has something replaced it?
Lou

The unread posts function is another Forum add-on yet to be "added on"

By the way, look via the "Portal" link at the top RHS as it may contain at least some of that same info.

Admin

NOW DONE: Look for View Unread Posts in the line just under the Search "box" at top RHS

Thanks Admin, just what I was after

VK3YCQ

The new colour scheme and layout combine to make the site a pleasure to use.

Ian
VK3YCQ
I like it.  Crisp and clear.  Much easier to read.

VK4BVI
USER NOTICE

I expect to shift the Forum across to a new server in the coming days and that will mean an IP address and subsequent DNS change, and the time for that update to flow through to your ISP may make it inaccessible for a period - several minutes to several hours.

It may necessitate you clearing your browser cache (eg Windows: Control + F5 or Shift + F5 keys) to make your computer (and hence your ISP) force a lookup of the new IP address.

So, if you can't access the Forum even though your internet is working, clear your browser cache a few times - and then refresh the screen in between - as a first step.

If you still can't see the forum, drop to a Windows command Prompt and type "ping ozlogger.net" then press the Enter key...
You should get a response from IP 203.xx.xx.xx but if the response starts 139.xx.xx.xx then the DNS really is in transition and you can but try again later. If it "times out" completely then I have a problem within the transfer process...

I will try to time it when I expect little activity by users to minimise the interruption but you can't say you haven't been warned !!!

Doug, ADMIN
Warning heard and noted.

(Thanks)
This Forum is now on a different web server (at Overflow Internet Hosting ) and the transition has been plagued with problems/errors, hence the delay in placing it back in normal service.

Unfortunately the database has been restored from a backup timed at 2.30PM on the 13th June so the few posts since then until now have been lost.

There are still a few "bugs" to resolve, like the latest posts function but that should be restored before long. Most other issues seem to be solved now.

I will keep a close eye on the Forum over the next few days to check for further problems.

Admin
Looks like the unread post function broke during the latest activities.

VK2HRX

(21-06-2017, 09:34 AM)VK3ALB Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like the unread post function broke during the latest activities.

Use this link to the View New Posts page. Works fine for me.
http://www.ozlogger.net/forum/search.php...55815da8c3

Compton
(21-06-2017, 09:34 AM)VK3ALB Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like the unread post function broke during the latest activities.

It was known to be broken so it was installed but turned off.  The "new posts" option actually functions differently..

I have had to do direct SQL database editing today (once I found the issue) to stop it appearing some 7 or 8 times in the header area - that being the number of times I (obviously) had installed it trying to get the thing to work normally. Needless to say it was uninstalled one less time but the uninstall did not remove all of the changes that were made during the install process.  An oversight by the author of the function.

Nevertheless the option only appears once to a logged-in user now.

Please note that there is a link in the bottom line that allows a user to mark all forum items read : 
  • Mark All Forums Read

Admin
There is a new function active on the Forum as from today : there is now a familiar Facebook "f" up near the time/date of a message at the top of each post.   

It will allow you to add a specific post from the Forum to your Facebook timeline and could possibly encourage more users to utilise this Forum - rather than just using Facebook, which has its own issues regarding historical availability of older posts.

By all means try it out and pass back your feedback.

Doug, Admin.
Hopefully when people put up relevant posts, shared on their facebook pages or on fb groups that they frequent, people will really see the resource we have here that benefits the whole Amateur Radio community. Smile
As well as closing the Forum so that users need to be logged in to view posts as of today, a new function was installed as a trial : a "chat function".

The presence is signified by the + symbol in the lower LHS of screen. Clicking on it opens a chat screen. When finished, close the chat screen by the "close" at top RHS. This function also provides an awareness of new posts etc.. while you are active in chat mode. If it is not used or doesn't provide worthwhile outcome then it will be removed.

Look for that plus sign surrounded by a square with rounded corners.... 

The 'closing' of the Forum to allow only member access unfortunately has also inhibited search engine updating despite many variations to counteract this effect. It appears that all web pages have to be fully public to allow search engine spider-ing so that may yet determine whether the Forum remains 'closed'.

Admin
With the member access only now, if a non-member comes to the forum page, what will they see?

Will they be able to see all the sub-forums and their posts but not be able to read any, or just the sub-forums page?

I guess I could log off and try it, but with cookies and cache (which I'm always reluctant to clear because passwords tend to get deleted as well ...) I might not see what a non-member would.

What they see is the teaser/motivation to join, of course.
I don't see anything but the login screen when not logged in, I don't think that's a good idea as there is no way a potential member can check out the forum, also it seems a little elitist to me.
Is there any way that the posts can be viewed, but no one can post spam etc.
I don't mind having to login to post, but I think viewing should be public.
John
Pages: 1 2 3