Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: IC-905 portable / roving microwave station
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
G'day All, Now that the 10GHz module finally arrived yesterday, I've now finished my portable / roving station using an IC-905 as pictured. An extra is the 3.4GHz SG-Labs transverter using the 432 port of the IC-905 for the IF. The 2m port just has a load on it. Not pictured is the IC-705 with dual-band yagi for 144 & 432 on a separate mast/stand.

Time to hit the hills :-)

Cheers,
(04-10-2023, 12:44 PM)VK3BA Wrote: [ -> ]G'day All, Now that the 10GHz module finally arrived yesterday, I've now finished my portable / roving station using an IC-905 as pictured. An extra is the 3.4GHz SG-Labs transverter using the 432 port of the IC-905 for the IF. The 2m port just has a load on it. Not pictured is the IC-705 with dual-band yagi for 144 & 432 on a separate mast/stand.

Time to hit the hills :-)

Cheers,

Well done on the set-up Nik

Great to see it!
Gidday all,

For anyone making their own Cat5 cables for the IC-905 to the outdoor unit, any lengths less than the supplied 5m one will result in the controller head not seeing the outdoor unit. After a few hours of chopping up Cat5 and crimping numerous RJ45's, I found that mine had to be at least 200mm longer than the original Icom cable supplied. Otherwise a couple of seconds after boot up, the control head will display an error that the outdoor unit is not responding, despite hearing the relays click. Some sort of weird Icom implementation of POE I suspect.

Cheers,
(11-10-2023, 06:25 PM)VK3BA Wrote: [ -> ]Gidday all,

For anyone making their own Cat5 cables for the IC-905 to the outdoor unit, any lengths less than the supplied 5m one will result in the controller head not seeing the outdoor unit. After a few hours of chopping up Cat5 and crimping numerous RJ45's, I found that mine had to be at least 200mm longer than the original Icom cable supplied. Otherwise a couple of seconds after boot up, the control head will display an error that the outdoor unit is not responding, despite hearing the relays click. Some sort of weird Icom implementation of POE I suspect.

Cheers,

Try using cat 6A shielded with shielded rj45's. that's what is recommended.

cheers
VK8AW
Yep, that did the trick today... :-)
G'day All, ditched the 3.4 & 5.7 panel antennas and re-built the whole show as per new pics...
That's some beautiful work, what are those dishes ?

cheers
Tim