Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: VK2RSF Beacons SE NSW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I might ask, do we really need or still want the Emerald Hill beacons?

Reason for asking is that I've been paying the power bills for the past few years, and with rising energy costs it's only getting more expensive.
I think it came to $1200 last year, so it's not exactly cheap, and it's only heading north.  

Unfortunately, the current location doesn't lend itself to solar + battery solutions, but there is another location within 5km that's a similar elevation and accessible which might be suitable - and viable if demand is there. Of course I would need to come up with a costed solution that was "reasonable" to existing hams that have an interest in seeing the beacons remain in service, assuming that they would be willing to donate something to the cause. The alternative is to motivate the VK1's to finish improvements to their site at Isaac's Ridge, and I would be open to donating to such a cause if it still exists. 

Regards,
David, VK2DVM
Hello David,
A long time ago the 2RSF beacon was regularly heard here in VK5. I have not heard it in more than 5 years now, no matter how much I try it eludes me, even when there is great tropo to my east. I know the VK1's report it regularly, other than that I am unsure of its usefulness. That power bill is excessive, so the obvious answer is QRT, yes yes flame me if you must but to leave that power cost to one person to pay is not value for money/