Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Fox-hunting an emergency beacon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The aviation-related letters published in OTN Issue No. 64 prompted me to relate an experience that occurred in the late 1980s, when I was a Flight Service Officer working for the then Department of Aviation in the Flight Service Unit (FSU) at Mildura airport.

One day when I was rostered off duty, I was recalled by the FSU due to an overflying aircraft reporting reception of an Emergency Locator Beacon (ELB) on 121.5MHz in the area. No trace of the ELB could be heard by the FSU using a hand-held airband radio and as no technical staff were stationed at the unit, my task was to take the radio onto the apron and check all parked aircraft, due to potential shielding to the FSU by a couple of aircraft hangers.

I did this but again no trace of the ELB was heard, and I noted that there were many more light aircraft parked than was usually the case. The local flying instructor told me that the additional aircraft were due to a fly-in by a group of pilots,  and that they were staying overnight in two of the town’s hotels.

I informed the FSU, who said a search and rescue (SAR) aircraft with DF facilities was on the way from Gippsland. I suggested a check of the hotels identified would be worthwhile, so I took the departmental car along with the hand-held and magnetic base antenna and drove into town.

I picked up a strong signal within a kilometre of one of the hotels.

Using the fox-hunting technique of progressively tuning off the frequency, body shielding and turning the antenna through 90 degrees, with the assistance of the hotel’s duty manager we tracked the ELB to a specific room. The guests were absent so the manager entered the room, and I spotted what was clearly a pilot’s flight bag, He opened it, and I identified the ELB and switched it off.  I suspect that the pilot had forgotten to switch it off after landing at the airport, leaving it in the impact-activated mode which had been triggered by rough handling of the baggage.  

At that point out the room’s window I noticed the SAR aircraft had arrived on scene, and on the FSU’s Area frequency 122.1MHz I asked the pilot to pass on that the beacon had been located and deactivated.

A porter (who bore a resemblance to Manuel from “Fawlty Towers” in both appearance and manner) had accompanied the manager and me, and I had to smile when I heard him behind me say in awe to the manager “He’s talking to that plane!”

Damien VK3RX
RAOTC member No 1239
Radio Amateurs Old Timers Club Australia Inc