Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Esperance Beacons Required 2m 6m
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If anyone is able to set up beacons at Esperance WA (VK6) that would be much appreciated by many on the east side of Australia. It is not only within a single Sporadic E hop for some, but also tropo signals are always possible and more likely than Albany. CW or WSPR would be preferred, or both even better.
VHF in southern Australia is at a great loss without this beacon site. So just throwing the idea out there in case someone or a group is able to rectify this situation.

As a memory refresher, this is some of what I used to enjoy here, Esperance is 2313 km from me -

[Image: attachment.php?aid=665]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=666]
Interesting perspective. The location must be a trade off between distance and avoiding obstructions like Cape Arid I guess? How about Israelite Bay Telegraph Station, or nearby, or is it impossible due to park restrictions?

The D4 and EA8 beacons have clear paths to many locations in western Europe and are heard often.

However, the real OZ here think the beacon should be in Denmark alternatively Norseman Big Grin

Bo
www.rudius.net/oz2m :: www.rfzero.net
I cant answer those questions sorry Bo. Someone from VK6 would need to make some comments.

I believe previously the beacon was located on the property of Bill VK6AS (sk) in Esperance. He passed away quite some time back and thus the WA VHF Group are unable to find a site to relocate the beacon to I believe. But someone from the WA VHF Group may care to make comment on the situation.

The WA VHF Group website is here http://www.wavhfgroup.org.au/
Their beacon page is here http://www.wavhfgroup.org.au/beacons

The main issue is that Esperance is a long way away from the capital of Perth so logistics and maintenance, without a dedicated ham in Esperance is a problem.

I made this recording of VK6AS in Esperance on 2m SSB in 2005 would you believe?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=669]
Hi all yes i totally agree with Leigh that to have the Esperance 2m,70, 23cm beacons reinstated or even jus a 2m beacon would be fantastic and would give us east coasters something to look for...
WSPR beacons would be the preference from here... I wonder how many hams there are in Esperance ?
The WAVHF group have been paying licence fees for the last several years for VK6RST despite the 70cm beacon being inoperative for over five years and the 2m beacon four or more.
I dont know what the WAVHF group do anymore.