Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: 6m - 2m WSPR Winter Leaderboard Challenge 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Just a note to advise that we are running the 6m & 2m WSPR Winter Leaderboard Challenge again this winter 2023.
The event runs across all June and July.
Again, John VK2IJM is gathering all the data recorded and will be presenting updated Leaderboard tables for each band as they come to hand.
So far fairly quiet, but that could easily change.

John usually posts updated tables once a week or so to the VHF/UHF WSPR group on facebook.
Also I will try and post updates and unusual events noted to AHRDF.
Here we are with our mid June results update.

As a brief summary, I'd say so far the propagation has been relatively bad on all fronts with some limited 2m tropo and 6m E openings. Having said this though, there has still been some brilliant paths achieved by the active stations considering it is winter.

144 MHz WSPR Leaderboard Challenge Update:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=674]

50 MHz WSPR Leaderboard Challenge Update:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=675]
Here we are with the full June results for the 6m & 2m WSPR Winter Challenge 2023.

Many of the guys active on 6m and 2m during the WSPR Challenges put in a big effort to do as well as they do, from station preparation to understanding the aspects of the prevailing propagation and being able to get the most from it. WSPR is the ultimate propagation probe or an extreme DX tool able to push the limits of weak signals at low power.

Results that are standing out to me upon scanning through the tables are - On 6m from Alan VK2EFM who is leading the others by a considerable amount, although helped only by a lucky chance with some Japanese stations. I note that David VK2DVM is on par with Alan in two-way spots. Great to have all the ZL activity also showing in the results.
On 2m Brodie VK3MAP, relative new comer to WSPR is holding out attempts from David VK2DVM and Alan VK3DXE to reach the top spot in the two-way spots results. The top 2m distances are held by VK7s and VK2 stations with VK2's also holding some paths to the VK5's. I have to say also aside from an initial kick off by Hayden VK7HH, there is now a fantastic contingent of VK7 stations who are serious contenders on both 2m and 6m WSPR, there are occasional signals from Rex VK7MO down south, and a very strong force in northern VK7, who take aim at Tropospheric paths to VK5 and also to VK2 way up to Sydney and beyond, they are also having a great investigative look into Bass Straight tropo propagation up to 23cm WSPR with VK3 stations around Melbourne. Similarly on 6m the VK7 stations are often in prime locations to take advantage of the Sporadic E which forms over the Great Dividing Ranges which gives E paths to VK4 and VK2. This will become very obvious during the Summer WSPR Challenge when they will command high MUF Es into VK4 on 2m, so long as the VK4s are listening.

During the night of the 2nd and 3rd of July we have experienced a significant tropo opening in SE Australia which has now kicked off the July part of the 2023 WSPR Winter Challenge nicely. Further results to come soon.

(There could be some missing distance data for the 6m WSPR RX Distance table, but will update that if its updated by John VK2IJM)

144 MHz WSPR June Results -

[Image: attachment.php?aid=676]

50 MHz WSPR June Results -

[Image: attachment.php?aid=677]
This is the 6m WSPR RX Distance table for June... with the actual distances included Big Grin

[Image: attachment.php?aid=681]
Thanks to John VK2IJM for an update of the Challenge Leaderboards for up to 23rd July.
We are in the closing stages now, not long left in the winter Challenge.
July has been a super Tropo Ducting month on 144 MHz WSPR in comparison to June.
6m band has been almost a non event this winter season, but thats the way it goes.
Great to see heaps of capable stations giving it a run on both bands.
Next update will probably be the final results table.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=695]
Final results for the JULY leg of the 6m & 2m WSPR Challenge!

July was a fantastic month for 144 MHz propagation

144 MHz JULY RESULTS

[Image: attachment.php?aid=701]

50 MHz JULY RESULTS
[Image: attachment.php?aid=702]
Here we are with the final results for the 6 & 2m WSPR Winter Challenge 2023! Heart

Some great results especially on the 2m band in July with maximum distance achieved of 1421 km.
On 6m band the max distance was 7771 km.

*Some comments from the WSPR Challenge manager, John VK2IJM about the 2m Challnege -
Well done to all those who participated in the challenge and especially to those who made the top 20 lists, which is not so easy these days. The summer challenge is now less than 4 months away.

Category winners of the 2m WSPR Winter Challenge 2023 -
  #2-Way Spots Combined Distance - VK2DVM
  #2-Way Spots Total - VK2DVM & VK3MAP
  #Maximum TX distance - VK2EFM 1421 km
  #Maximum RX distance - VK5LN 1421 km
  #Maximum Two-Way distance - VK2JMR & VK7MD 1216 km

144 MHz Final Results Table

[Image: attachment.php?aid=703]

*Some comments from John VK2IJM on the results of the 6m WSPR Winter Challenge 2023 -
Well done to everyone who competed in the 6m Challenge and especially to those who made the leaderboards. VK2EFM somehow managed to win every category this winter, so more work is needed from all other hams to avoid a repeat in the upcoming summer challenge Wink 
*Note from Leigh VK2KRR, I can vouch for this comment about Allan VK2EFM, a deserved & clear winner of the 6m WSPR Winter Challenge this year, Allans signal was often noticed at my location over the other side of the mountains and he was also showing great reception abilities on the database, so well done to Allan, a fine effort. Summer however will be much different I hope Big Grin

50 MHz Final Results Table

[Image: attachment.php?aid=704]