Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: ACMA update re class licensing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Per an email received  today :

23 May 2023

Amateur class licensing update
We would like to inform you the Australian Maritime College (AMC), has decided not to extend its deed for the provision of amateur licensee services beyond February 2024.

In light of the AMC’s decision and the planned move to class licensing of amateur services, we have taken the opportunity to review how amateur radio qualifications and call signs can be best supported under a class licence framework.

Background
For some time, the AMC managed several functions on behalf of the ACMA, including conducting amateur radio operator exams, issuing qualifications and recommending call signs for successful candidates to the ACMA.

However, after examining how to provide the best continuity of service for amateurs, we are proposing an alternative way to deliver these services.

New, more effective arrangements
We will no longer use a deed arrangement to provide amateur radio qualifications and call sign recommendations. Instead, we have decided to update the amateur radio qualification and call sign framework alongside the class licence implementation, and manage some of these services ourselves.

New accreditation procedures
We propose to use the network of voluntary assessors used by the AMC as accredited assessors under a scheme managed by the ACMA. Assessors will be able to conduct theoretical and practical examinations for amateur radio. Qualified and experienced amateur operators will be able to seek ACMA accreditation to conduct amateur radio examinations. As part of this accreditation work, we are:

preparing operational guidelines for accredited assessors
developing examination material
compiling a list of allocated and available call signs to go on our website.
The ACMA will still be responsible for approving the amateur radio syllabi.

Better alignment of qualification levels
The new framework will keep the Foundation, Standard and Advanced qualification levels for amateur radio examinations. This aligns with the qualification levels in the proposed class-licensing arrangements.

ACMA to issue qualifications and call signs
Under the new arrangement, qualifications will be issued by ACMA staff after an application from a person who has passed an examination. We will continue to be the call sign administrator and issue call signs to amateurs with recognised qualifications.

These arrangements are consistent with our amateur spectrum management obligations under the International Telecommunication Union’s Radio Regulations and the Radiocommunications Act 1992.

Next steps
We want to introduce the new accreditation scheme at the same time as the class licensing arrangements. At this stage, we expect to consult on the new accreditation scheme in August 2023. We welcome your feedback through the public consultation process, and we’ll keep you updated on progress.

To prepare for the move to class licensing, we have changed the renewal periods for non-assigned amateur licences to 12-months only. This will help amateur licensees make a smooth transition to class licensing.

We are grateful for your engagement and assistance in this transition, and look forward to a smoother, more efficient framework.

Comment : Seems like the wheels fell off their plans  !!!
G'day Doug,

Yep, we got the same from AR-Vic this arvo and for the interest of others, here's the link to the ACMA Update... ACMA Update May 25th 2023

Aah well, lots of things could be said I guess. But I'll leave it to the AMC to explain why they're bailing out early next year. Here we go again... :-)

Cheers,
Perhaps the AMC has decided that management of functions associated with amateur radio examination services doesn't fit their maritime-oriented model and is more trouble than it is worth, particularly with likely increased work associated with the proposed move to a class license   Smile
(26-05-2023, 01:07 PM)VK3RX Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps the AMC has decided that management of functions associated with amateur radio examination services doesn't fit their maritime-oriented model and is more trouble than it is worth, particularly with likely increased work associated with the proposed move to a class license.

D'ya think? Big Grin
Well, for better or worse, the new Class License comes in to force on the 1st Feb 2024

Todays email info links to various documents here https://www.acma.gov.au/consultations/20...-framework

An interesting mention of "no cost for examinations administered by an accredited examiner" amongst that lot (which is just as well, the ACMA cost to do exams ranges up to $429).
(29-08-2023, 04:21 PM)VK5TM Wrote: [ -> ]Well, for better or worse, the new Class License comes in to force on the 1st Feb 2024

Todays email info links to various documents here https://www.acma.gov.au/consultations/20...-framework

An interesting mention of "no cost for examinations administered by an accredited examiner" amongst that lot (which is just as well, the ACMA cost to do exams ranges up to $429).
A comment on the ACMA proposals, maybe to be accepted to be published in AR, with a little help from "the editor".

After reading the latest correspondence from the ACMA, and the proposed amendments to the Scientific Apparatus Licence for amateur radio higher-power use, a few issues stand out.

From VK amateurs’ personal listings on QRZ.com, it is very evident that many operators already have, and routinely use, high power amplifiers that exceed the permitted amateur license conditions without any EMR or interference issues. This has been the case for many years.

The advances in the technical quality of commercial transceivers and amplifiers have largely overcome issues with transmitting harmonics and spurious emissions.

Thus, it seems to me that to now try to put power limits on Advanced license holders via Scientific Apparatus License arrangements is misplaced. I suggest that it would be much better to work with the amateur radio community to improve the understanding of electromagnetic radiation/emission (EMR/EME) standards and to provide the means to properly assess compliance.

Accordingly, there should be a self-assessment process that can be verified by qualified amateurs. Also, proper records need to be kept when operating higher power.

Maybe EMR compliance could be carried under the auspices of radio clubs, with a small donation made for such a service.

Andrew Martin VK3OE, VK3OER
"
Thus, it seems to me that to now try to put power limits on Advanced license holders via Scientific Apparatus License arrangements is misplaced. I suggest that it would be much better to work with the amateur radio community to improve the understanding of electromagnetic radiation/emission (EMR/EME) standards and to provide the means to properly assess compliance.

Accordingly, there should be a self-assessment process that can be verified by qualified amateurs. Also, proper records need to be kept when operating higher power.

Maybe EMR compliance could be carried under the auspices of radio clubs, with a small donation made for such a service.

"

Back a few years, about 2017 I think, after the high power approach as was rejected by the ACMA, there was a concerted effort by the WIA though clubs to educate the "everyday amateur" about the facts of EME (/EMR) and how to go about the assessment process. The idea was to educate the many so that safety / ARPANSA requirements were generally known.  (I know about it because I was approached to do some education on it at the time, and did in fact do a presentation to a large-ish group.)

The problem is that that the education was not followed on by more of the same presentations over the intervening years to ensure that newcomers to the hobby received current advice re EME, and older licensees reminded about their responsibilities. It seems that "we have done that already, now let's forget about it from now on" was the mindset of the WIA and clubs.  And still is. Thus it is not surprising that the blanket high power approach for the Class Licence was again rejected in favour of directing would-be's to a Scientiic Licence, and ensuring that those granted possessed the EME knowledge required.

There might be some radio clubs that have members who possess the skills and knowedge to do EME assessments but there are probably many who do not.  Charging fees should not be involved, the clubs should undertake it for free as a service to all  i.e.any amateur.

Uphill battle..

My 2cents

Doug VK4ADC
(10-09-2023, 12:11 PM)VK3OE Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-08-2023, 04:21 PM)VK5TM Wrote: [ -> ]Well, for better or worse, the new Class License comes in to force on the 1st Feb 2024

A comment on the ACMA proposals, maybe to be accepted to be published in AR, with a little help from "the editor".

After reading the latest correspondence from the ACMA, and the proposed amendments to the Scientific Apparatus Licence for amateur radio higher-power use, a few issues stand out.

From VK amateurs’ personal listings on QRZ.com, it is very evident that many operators already have, and routinely use, high power amplifiers that exceed the permitted amateur license conditions without any EMR or interference issues. This has been the case for many years.

The advances in the technical quality of commercial transceivers and amplifiers have largely overcome issues with transmitting harmonics and spurious emissions.

What can i say.

Over the past 40 years i have visited and seen many amateur shacks in VK2/3/4 & 8 areas. And every single shack had a PA that was capable of more than what is allowed. This is not a problem. The problem is compliance and that is how the ACMA works and good luck changing it.

The ACMA has an avenue to obtain a QRO permit but again, laziness or the 'I will wait until the ACMA just gives it to us' approach seems to be the norm.

I obtained my 1st QRO permit in 2004 and then successfully had it increased a few years later. 10 pages of details and technical info with $41 was all that was required for submission, assessment and approval.

There are the have's and have not's amateurs. Those that have, get harassed and belittled by the have not's which is why approved QRO operators don't talk about it.

That's how the hobby is because of differing attitudes.

If you whinge and do nothing, then that burden is only upon yourself.

cheers
Gary
VK8AW/VK4ABW
Seeing as AMC is pulling the pin, I wonder if the 2 x 1 licence arrangements will remain?
And no, I don't have one and don't want one! Tongue