Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: New laptop for AR use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m after a new laptop running Windows OS that will be dedicated to AR use, i.e. various AR applications and programming software, some of which these days won’t run below Windows 10.

I know the old adage re PCs is "always go for more than what you currently need because one day you will need it ...".

I do have a Dell desktop that meets my other non AR needs, and even an old Dell laptop running XP for older programming software and applications.

A high end machine might be overkill as I’m not into SDR, and it may not get a lot of use. I’m particularly looking at compatibility with typical AR applications and with the necessary ports.

Interested in recommendations and what fits your current needs.
Just be wary of anything running Windows 11, there have been reports of some software not working or not working properly under 11.

So check what programs you will be using to see if there have been any problems running under Win 11 reported.

Otherwise the 'get the biggest, fastest bit of gear you can afford' applies.
(12-05-2023, 09:36 PM)VK5TM Wrote: [ -> ]Just be wary of anything running Windows 11, there have been reports of some software not working or not working properly under 11.

So check what programs you will be using to see if there have been any problems running under Win 11 reported.

Otherwise the 'get the biggest, fastest bit of gear you can afford' applies.

We've had no issues with Dell machines over many years, but I see all their laptops come with Win 11 now Undecided
Hello Damien,
  now here are some questions, why a laptop?
if a laptop is a must, then you will have to content with power management settings that put USB ports to sleep, while not a new problem it is one that keeps cropping up in forums with people having problems with programs going to sleep.

On the laptop front, find a keyboard / trackpad layout that you love to use and is comfortable, remember the keyboard / trackpad and display are the things you have to deal with all the time, the stuff under the hood is usually set and forget. 

If compatibility with win 11 is a concern, then you can run a copy of Windows 10 in a Virtual machine inside he laptop for the ones that do not like Win11 but in my case I am yet to find a ham app that is unhappy on win 11

Will you use a desktop monitor, if not then spend a lot of time scrutinising the display as to view angles and the reflectiveness of the display, nothing worse that glare from a random light source when hunting a new one on FT8.  There are some great USB-C connected docking stations that can make the all come together easily, monitor, keyboard and a nice mouse.  We use both the HP and Lenovo docks at work and they can turn a laptop into a viable desktop alternative all via a single USB-C cable..  Using a Dock also helps with supplementing the PORT count on the laptop.

I for one hate track pads and avoid most laptops where possible.  I work in I.T at a very large school and am constantly amazed that how often folders on the shared drives are 'getting lost' when people drag them around by mistake on a laptop with a track pad.  This might be a skewed view but hay that is my life Big Grin

Generally disk speed is not a problem any more as most have SSD's or better still M.2 slot drives.  Please remember Bigger is not always better when it comes to drives.

What is better with size is the system RAM...  cram in what you can afford.

Cooling, there is nothing worse than a laptop with a cooling fan that screams at you with the smallest of provocation,  there are some good stress test tools you can find for free that will make the video and processor ramp up. From there you will know if its going to be a problem.  Unless you really need a super flash video card then do not go that way, they only only chew battery power and cause un wanted heat, which then kicks on the cooling fan(s).

sorry if this sounds like a sermon, cannot give you any direct recommendations as my exposure is to only enterprise devices that range well over $2K but the higher end Lenovo and HP seem to stand up to the beatings from teachers.
Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply, Peter.

My thoughts with the laptop were to dedicate it for AR, and therefore avoid any conflicts or setup issues with other non-AR software. I take on board your recommendation re an external monitor and the potential issue with USB ports.

I have a desktop tower running Win 7 (!) which still serves my needs for email, internet and a wide range of software. The problem with upgrading it is either much of my existing software may not run under Win 11, and while in most cases later versions are available, at least some of the software packages now require an annual subscription with no option to purchase outright.

I have run AR software on the desktop in the past and run into audio issues, having set AR software up to run then found some conventional software no longer working and needing to switch settings back an forth.  

An update to the desktop will have to happen in time and the performance that involves getting up and running again, but is something I'm trying to avoid just now Smile

Yes, I've always used an external mouse with laptops for the reason you say with track pads.

Lenovo and HP I will look into. We used to have HP laptops and desktops at the government organization I worked at, but for some reason they changed over to Dell systems. It was probably a $ decision rather than compatibility issues.
Hey Damien,
just a quick reply on the DELL front, nothing against them just not had a big exposure to the product line, some of my work colleagues have only good things to say about them. I was going to buy a DELL desktop for home use but the little Lenovo Thinkcentre M710 and its new brothers came along (mini format desktop) via the auction sites. If you are looking for a replacement desktop at any time, may I suggest you give that series a serious look. Low power, low noise and still plenty of ports Big Grin Using one right now to type this.