Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: 70cm on a motorbike
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
G'day All,

I've seen a few different implementations of UHFCB on motorbikes on various YouTube videos, mainly using portable radios, but I wonder if anyone here has implemented 70cm (and maybe plus other bands) on a motorbike??

I was thinking of using a Simoco SRM9000 equiv system for the primary intention of 70cm, with hopefully enough band spread up to 477MHz. These and the Moto XTL5000's are a bit more weatherproof than an IC-705 or similar. Not that I'd be riding in the rain - I don't get paid enough to ride in the wet.

I've probably got room above the GPS or on the bars for the remote head and then mount the radio brick in a case on the rear tray or in a pannier case, with rear mounted RFI 1/2wave antenna and wiring it back to the main fuse block under the seat. 

FYI, I've already got a helmet (Arai XD-4) mounted Cardo Packtalk bluetoothed to the bike dash, which is then bluetoothed to my phone, allowing the bike touch screen display or LHS switchblock buttons to navigate the phone. I think my Cardo Packtalk has a 2nd bluetooth channel. I'll have to check the manual again.

I understand that with some of the top level BMW bikes, you can re-assign one or two buttons for radio use, but I don't think I can do this with mine - I'd have to have a separate PTT button next to the LHS switchblock.

My bike in question is a 2020 Honda Africa Twin Adv Sport 1100

While one of the purposes of a bike is to have some peacetime to yourself, but it would be handy to have access to a few local 70cm and/or 2m repeaters whilst on the go.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,