Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: being a contributor to the hobby by publishing on the wider stage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
 many of us do not contribute directly to the shared knowledge of the hobby but have valuable thoughts that should not be kept bottled up.  Contributing in the form of forum articles or plucking up the courage to be published in A.R magazine can seem a daunting task but in the long run it is very rewarding.

For me, I am not an overly confident person and in many situations am socially awkward, not highly educated by modern standards but having an outlet to publish my activities and "bright ideas" on forums like this and of late a debut of a small article in A.R mag at age 63 is quite the achievement for me. 

So what is stopping you if I can do it?

The forum threads do not need to be earth shattering discoveries or Nobel worthy theories but if they contribute to our hobby as a whole then find a drink and treat, adjust the comfy chair and see what comes to mind.

Many of mine have been documenting things I have tried, more as a way for me to remember what I did for next time, ( I still refer to my forum post about disabling serial port scanning from the VKLOGGER forum days when needed ) some have found the posts interesting, some of my threads have died after the first post, pot luck I guess as to whether it interests others.

The forum post does not need to be perfect, most if not all of mine have been revisited a few times to fix up gramma and spelling error, thank god for the Edit button Big Grin  I expect this one will be no different.

The challenge is out there now, I hope others pick it up and find they can contribute to our shared knowledge.

For those who feel they want to reply with negative thoughts, I would ask you to take a long walk on a short pier and let those thoughts go as they do you no good.
Well said, Peter.

Most are like me I guess, fiddling around and working on the odd project (usually someone else's idea) and not considering anything worthwhile to put in print.

My total contribution was a post in another thread Radio Reminiscences Smile
(25-02-2023, 07:12 PM)VK5PJ Wrote: [ -> ]For those who feel they want to reply with negative thoughts, I would ask you to take a long walk on a short pier and let those thoughts go as they do you no good.

Just expanding that comment, the amount of negativity/negative feedback I have encountered from my website and various other fora I frequent is for all intents and purposes non existent, at least in the past 10 - 15 years.

So for anybody else thinking about posting something up, go for it and have fun doing it.