Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Braid conductors...when not to use it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Years ago I read somewhere of certain situations where you shouldn't use a braid conductor.
I am blowed if I can remember what it is. Perhaps I am mistaken.
I intend to use it to connect a metal roof to the earth terminal of an AH4, the roof being the ground plane.
Anyone with an answer? Huh

Nev
The only comment I can find about not using a braided earth strap is in damp environments because they trap more moisture and thus tend to cause corrosion.
Thanks Terry,
I dont know where I got the info from. Perhaps my synapses are befuddled.
Could it be DC I am thinking of. Dunno.
I will press on with the braid.

Nev
Nev

You don't use braid where it is the primary conduction method for lightning protection.  The individual strands can fuse if/when a strike occurs. 

Bonding sheets of metal roofing is ok but remember that with the overlapping roofing materials, even if electrically insulated at DC, create a fairly large capacitance which should appear as a low impedance at RF. Hence the bonding of large roof areas of sheets is mostly unnecessary to still be an effective RF "ground plane".

The material to use for lightning protection is heavy/wide copper strap, or aluminium etc..

Doug VK4ADC